Any fellow low-carbers in the Manchester area?

(5 Posts)
TheColourGreen Wed 29-Apr-15 12:27:23

I'm in South Manchester and sometimes feel (especially with the 'choice' available in my local Tesco) that I'm the only low carber here!

Any fellow Manc low carbers out there? If so fancy sharing experiences about low carb lifestyle?

I'll be travelling 3 miles to my nearest Waitrose today to pick up some Coyo yogurt www.coyo.co.uk/ as I haven't had a flavoured yogurt since starting low carb around a month and a half ago due to all the added sugars.

Diane31 Sun 02-Aug-15 09:01:07

Hi, just browsing looking for advice re my children/friends etc and saw your post. I am 51, fairly fit but oh quite so overweight. Not massive but I have always had broad shoulders and over the last few years, have put weight on so much on my upper body due to eating far too many carbs (cakes, chocolate, sugar etc.) This has mainly been when I have been stressed/bored with having two children, one with autism and a very shy daughter who had selective mutism. I am happily married and settled and everything and have just found a new lease of life by becoming a registered dogboarder so I walk a lot. I have often though about going low-carb though. I remember in the 90s and a friend in the office where I worked who was well into the low fat craze and checked the fat content of everything. I wasn't particularly into that (and wasn't overweight then anyway) but in the last couple of years, I have started to believe that it is in fact the bad carbs that are making me overweight but can't seem to stop eating them. Thankfully I love meat and dairy (adore cheese), like salad veg (not overly keen on cooked veg but will eat some!) so I am sure if I put my mind to it I would lose some of this weight quite quickly, especially as I have read that it is easier to lose weight from the top half of your body than the bottom half (for ladies especially!) I obviously would love to lose some from my middle etc but it is my top that is rather on the large side! I am also quite keen on fibre too. Do you eat only brown bread/cereal, if indeed you eat those things at all?

Diane31 Sun 02-Aug-15 09:03:25

PS, I'm Diane, from South Manchester area!

Itscurtainsforyou Sun 02-Aug-15 09:28:08

Hi there - I'm in the area too. I usually low carb but am having a short break from it at the moment.

I do find it tricky though. Everything seems centred around bread, breakfast is the worst (especially if you're in a hurry). And I've needed to work hard to have a variety of meals rather than eggs all the time.
Waitrose isn't bad (although more expensive) for slightly different foods- I bought babaganoosh (I think) the other day - an aubergine dip with quite low carbs, which was good for a change.

I tend to consult the pig2twig website when I'm stuck for ideas, have you tried that?

Victorianbeaut Mon 03-Aug-15 13:25:32

I didn't think plain natural yogurt in supermarkets would have any added sugar, although all milk products have some sugar content (lactose).

Agree Tesco are annoying, most of their lunch salads contain pasta! they love adding cheap carbs to things and charging a lot for them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now