Moving to Hale/Altrincham/Timperley for primaries

(4 Posts)
abc78 Wed 04-Sep-13 14:21:58

Hi I can see there have been some similar related posts recently but I'd appreciate any advice...

We live in West Didsbury with our two children (both under 3) at the moment and seem unlikely to fall into Beaver Road catchment and we aren't religious. As we aren't Catholic to be able to get them into Barlow RC we always assumed we would move into Trafford for high school.

We are thinking of moving in the next year instead so that hopefully they can go to a decent primary and we can get settled into the area rather than waiting a few years and trying to move our eldest mid way through primary schools which I appreciate might be both difficult logitistically as well as not good for him.

So my question is, given that our primary reason for moving is schools, are there any particular primaries anyone recommends and then we can work on trying to be reasonably well in catchment areas for Wellington in case we can't get them into the non religious grammar schools. Also does anyone have any experience of trying to change to a primary school in this area and how long they had to wait for?

Never realised a few years ago I would worry about things like this!

thanks anyone for any advice

HaleMumto3 Tue 24-Sep-13 10:36:19

Just look at the Wellington catchment area first, then make sure you buy within it. I think its becoming increasingly popular due to its results so I understand you'll definitely need to be within catchment. As far as primary schools go, they're all heavily over subscribed so when you find a school that you like, again, its really important that you're in catchment. We're in Hale and all of the schools are great, outstanding according to OFSTED. Even with Hale though, part is in catchment for Wellington, the other side isn't so you really need to do your homework.

In terms of changing part way through primary, some places do become available at Year 3 because some of the local preps have an intake at Year 3 (as well as Reception) but as you can imagine, lots of people try to move into Trafford in time for secondary schools so places for Year 4 / 5 / 6 are a bit like gold dust. A little boy in my DS's class started in Year 3, but I understand he'd been on the waiting list for 2 years and had to accept a place for a year at a less desirable primary (still within Trafford) for a year. Just my opinion, but much better to move before either of them start school. Good luck!

itsahen Tue 25-Feb-14 18:55:49

Did you make a decision on this? A friend looked round them all and liked the Hale ones best.

itsahen Tue 25-Feb-14 19:02:12

I meant to add that Cavendish & St Paul's are both good school and Parrseooc has just been rated good. The new free school opens 2015 - sure you need to move ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now