Schools in Didsbury

(14 Posts)
WutheringTights Tue 18-Jun-13 21:45:14

I'm looking at houses to buy in Didsbury and wondered what people do for secondary schools there. What are the best secondary schools in the area? I'd heard that Parrswood was not highly thought of but the catchment area seems pretty affluent so I was surprised by that. So, what do people do? Thanks

Itsfabupnorth Thu 20-Jun-13 13:45:39

HI it's funny it totally depends on who you speak to, most people use the primary schools (outstanding) and then over the years have opted for the private route or if Catholic done grammars in Altrincham... which hasn't helped either High School. However, the reality is that both Parrswood (ok it is large) and The Barlow Rc High School both in Didsbury are very good schools and getting better every year, always a good sign, so more and more of the parents who maybe had the choice are actually sending there kids there, supporting the local school. I know The Barlow is one of the top performing schools in Manchester and I hear a lot of positive feedback about Parrswood, I see the kids daily from both schools walking home and have never seen any bother from any of them.

WutheringTights Sun 23-Jun-13 19:49:10

Thanks. I'm really happy with the primary schools but just wondering whether we'll need to move again when it comes to secondary school time. I guess we just need to keep an eye on the Ofsted reports for Parrswood and reassess at the time.

itsahen Mon 29-Jul-13 09:55:34

Barlow is defo on the up and up - and Parrswood I think is following. Having spoken to several people with children there they are all really happy with it and said their children are being pushed to achieve etc
I think as more and more people gain confidence in the schools, they will cease to go private or move to Trafford / send them to schools miles away - and then things will get better and better.

WutheringTights Sat 03-Aug-13 10:34:58

Here's hoping! It's a while away for us yet and I guess a lot can change in schools in a short period. Thanks

Binlorry Fri 01-Nov-13 13:39:35

I have kids at Barlow High. I can't fault it. The school is very "on the ball" and is constantly striving for the best.

itsahen Fri 03-Jan-14 16:15:54

Parrswood has just need rated good by ofsted

Itsfabupnorth Tue 07-Jan-14 11:45:37

I have my DD in Barlow and my DD2 due to go this September, really good school, she is happy there, really encourage and set aim high goals for the kids.

sham80 Sat 29-Mar-14 10:33:54

hi i live in east didsbury and my boys go to heaton mersey school just of didsbury rd but applied for this year secondary school which we didnt get we got kingsway high school and wanted priestnall high in stockport we went to a lot detail and didnt like parrswood and son didnt to all his friends in priestnall hope that helps

itsahen Sat 29-Mar-14 18:21:53

Are you accepting Kingsway? I have friends who are happy there.

sham80 Wed 02-Apr-14 08:03:44

hi a have accepted it and appealed for priestnall as son very unhappy and scared to travel by bus after our second burglary affected him a lot i cant drop or pick him from school as other child in primary in heaton mersey .his sense of security and confidence gone

itsahen Wed 02-Apr-14 20:16:44

Oh dear what a nightmare for you. Surely places come up before Sept as well as hope for appeal? Hopefully you're not to far down the waiting list. Good luck

sham80 Wed 02-Apr-14 21:12:04

thanks itsahen x

itsahen Thu 03-Apr-14 10:49:22

Here's hoping. I thought everyone from Heaton Mersey went to Priestnall ... I am obv niaive

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now