Moving to Altrincham/Sale/Hale in a months time!!

(60 Posts)
rachococo Sun 22-Jul-12 02:28:03

Hello everyone! I am currently living in the USA (previously Whalley Range/Chorlton), and moving back at the end of August to start a Doctorate at the University of Manchester. We are keen to start afresh in a new area of Manchester, and Altrincham/Hale/Sale seems like its gonna be the place!! We liked Chorlton, but fancy living a little more out, on the tramline. We have an 8 year old daughter so looking for school recommendations and also areas where is best to rent. Are there any council estate areas to avoid? Obviously we have a lot to sort out in the next couple weeks, so any advice or help would be much appreciated!!
Thanks
Rachael

rachococo Tue 14-Aug-12 04:23:40

Hi JonahB, that is a coincidence! If you do decide to rent I am definitely interested, my friend did mention she knew of a possible rental in Sale. Don't mind furnished or unfurnished. Not really shipping any furniture (currently living in the USA) so some furniture would be helpful - but I'm flexible!
Thanks for the message!

JonahB Tue 14-Aug-12 07:59:39

hi Rachococo,
thanks for the message. My house would be unfurnished, as i need to take what's in there with me. Just something to consider.... I'm away for a couple of days now (think so is your friend) but i'll contact her when i get back. Good luck with your house hunting in the meantime....!!

MarthasHarbour Tue 14-Aug-12 10:03:18

W Vale Rd, it is nearer Altrincham than Timperley anyway, and is right by the Nav Rd tram and definitely in catchment for Nav Rd primary, if you are there a while is is right near Wellington Comp which is an outstanding school.

MarthasHarbour Tue 14-Aug-12 10:03:47

that should have read 'W Vale Rd is a lovely street!'

rachococo Tue 14-Aug-12 15:53:43

Thank you!!

rachococo Sun 19-Aug-12 05:56:09

Hi all, I have managed to rent the house on West Vale Rd!! I realise how hard it is to get a place in the schools so was guided on availability!! I have applied for Navigation Primary, Willows Primary and Cloverlea - in that order! I think that was the right decision........ They all look fine, but Navigation will make it easier with my commute to Bury. I hope the Schools Out program have availability now.
Thanks for everyones help and advice, I am flying out the day before I move in, and school starts 3 days later so all very last minute.
Thank you everyone - looking forward to moving back!

MarthasHarbour Sun 19-Aug-12 16:02:32

Brilliant! Congrats!! Perfect choice, WV Road is in a really lovely leafy part of Alti/Timperley. I dont know much about Cloverlea (must get checking) but Nav and The Willows have great reputations.

Well done!

rachococo Sun 19-Aug-12 23:40:13

Thanks, applied on Friday, so hopefully will hear back about the school she gets into this week! Didn't realise schools go back on Tuesday 4th September, I start my course on 3rd... nothings ever easy ; )

Can't wait to fly over!!

Thanks for everyones help and advice

Rachael

fenner Mon 03-Sep-12 14:49:24

Hi rachococo,

Feel free to PM me too. I live in Sale and commute to the uni regularly by tram (same 'job' as you).

rachococo Thu 06-Sep-12 23:47:50

Found out my daughter can go to Navigation Rd, hooray!! Just have to sort after school now, and evening babysitter for the odd night out.......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now