Good swimming pools for small babies...

(10 Posts)
handbag3 Tue 24-May-11 10:10:12

I am wondering if anyone can recommend any good places to take a baby swimming in greater manchester? I don't want to take him to swimming lessons, just need a nice (warm) clean pool, good changing facilities and not somewhere that requires you to sign up to membership. I am guessing that this will mean a local authority pool but I can't seem to find one which is nice and well equipped (I'll be taking an 8 month old on my own so it needs to at least have a baby changing station, somewhere to put him whilst I get ready, parking, etc). My parent's local swimming pool is great and they live in a really remote part of Yorkshire so I thought with all the choice around Manchester they'd at least be one or two that fit the bill :-) Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated... We live in Worsley but will travel...

fenner Tue 24-May-11 10:56:27

Altrincham Leisure Centre is the best one that we've come across. There's a small(ish) splash pool for babies next to a larger family pool, all separate from the main pool. Plus, a family change area.

Others may know of better ones though.

Mrsmackie Tue 24-May-11 12:29:26

Have heard that Aquatics centre is pretty good as it has a very shallow pool for little ones. Also would recommend Altrincham.

topsmart Tue 24-May-11 23:04:18

Not been to the altrincham one (yet) but I second the aquatics centre.
Car park round the corner on booth street east (get your ticket validated at the swimming pool and you get money off), nice clean changing rooms - with those big family rooms with baby seat on the wall, IYKWIM. And the kids pool is v shallow, you could probably sit baby up in the water.

The downside of the shallowness is that you as the parent end up mostly out of the water the whole time!

MistressFrankly Sat 18-Jun-11 23:22:08

Everytime i have been to the aquatics centre it has been freezing and the kiddy pool is way too shallow for teaching a kid to swim. Had to take dd in the big pool but couldnt stay in too long because her feet turned blue very quickly!

I now go to Middleton arena aquatots session. Its an hour long on tues and thurs at 12.15. Its in a small warm pool and is for the under 5s only. There are loads of toys and floats and armbands to use and an instructor keeping an eye. DD loves it smile

Get there early or book as they have a limit on how many they let in and it is pretty popular.

LakeFlyPie Sat 18-Jun-11 23:35:14

I like Altrincham - clean (ish) family changing room and lovely warm small pool.
Apparently the car parking is subsidised now too.

Cheadle rec has been recommended to me but haven't been yet, looks like changing rooms have recently been refurbished so might be worth a look.

makemineadairymilk Wed 22-Jun-11 16:31:44

I use altrincham leisure centre for my little boys lessons. I Suggest use the family changing room( much cleaner than the ladies changing room). They also have parent and child sessions with toys a couple of times a week. Haven't been myself but Wilmslow leisure centre is supposed to be good.

sasaunde Sat 13-Aug-11 23:29:03

Cheadle baths is fab. For bigger babies they have a soft play area in reception while you wait for the swimming to start. My 2yo daughter was over the moon!

birdofthenorth Thu 01-Sep-11 12:53:24

Hyde leisure pool is great, has heaps of changing tables etc. If you go on Friday mornings the Wally Walrus sessions are brilliant. And it's cheap.

TheSecondComing Mon 05-Sep-11 22:49:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now