Moving with Beeb relocation to Salford quays... Anyone else?

(246 Posts)
topsmart Sun 05-Dec-10 08:41:50

Okay, here goes, I am initiating my first proper thread.

DP's job is moving from london to salford quays next year. We finally have a move date of march 2011 (after signing up in sept 2010...) So it's all suddenly real and I have to shift our lives and get a nursery then school for DD who turns 5 next academic yr.

MN has proved invaluable for my manc research on areas to look at, so I wanted to thank anyone who's given anyone else advice on here as I have poached it all!

Now I'm wondering who else might be moving up as I'm sure some of you must be - or already have done. And I need heartwarming tales of how easy it has been to settle in. Or how much you need a new friend to go for a large glass of wine with! <blushes at own forwardness>

Mummyisamonster Mon 20-Dec-10 13:48:24

Hello all << waves manically at ForFoxSake grin>>, I'm another Salford/BBC spouse eager to make your acquaintance.

If you haven't already, do check out ForFoxSakes earlier thread, here www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/695442-Moving-to-Man chester-and-I-have-no-idea-where-to. It's great, contains so much useful information, and has been a life-saver to me.

We did the familiarisation tour a while ago,and it was fun, but busy and we didn't see any of the areas I really wanted to see. Lots of emphasis on Disbury & Chorlton with a couple of gated communities thrown in. Eeek.

Anyway, we've decided on Trafford, for the schools, reasonable house prices and the parks etc. Now we've just got to narrow it down. hmm.

We're due to move up next summer, but the LEA have advised we need to be in our new place by 7 July at least to get any chance of the schools we'd like. So we're planning on a half-term/Whitsun move, if possible.

A group (or meet up) is a great idea. Might save me from chewing all my nails to the quick/going even greyer/going insane or all three.

For what it's worth, my kids can't wait to move. Mainly becasue DH promised them we'd get a dog when we move shock

Mummyisamonster Mon 20-Dec-10 13:52:34

Ooops, sorry Topsmart - just seen your earlier link ....I think I'm just getting over-excited at the thought of more wine drinkers potential friends in Manchester...

SmallerClanger, also try Roomzzz in Manchester, another aparthotel. Fab, snazzy & reasonable.

ohforfoxsake Mon 20-Dec-10 19:48:07

LOL MUmmyisamonster! I'm frequently heard saying how much I love living here. We moved in the half-term - it was a two week break which helped.
If anyone wants to PM me if you've any questions on the process and how it went, I'll be happy to help. I did a reccy the other day for a friend who I know from that other thread. Well, we havent actually met yet - in that MN way friendships form! I cant remember her MN name now.
Everyone they recommended - financial advisors, solicitors, moving firm - we're all brilliant. Are you all partners, or employees?
I will get that FB page done after Christmas.

Mummyisamonster Tue 21-Dec-10 13:19:42

LOL FFS, it's me!!See you on FB xxx

SmallerClanger Tue 21-Dec-10 20:30:05

I'm a partner, so will also be job-hunting when we're settled in. Unless there's any way we can afford for me to SAH for a while. I know we ought to bite the bullet and go, DP has actually been given a date of 6 June for move, but I just can't think that way. DD1 has her birthday in mid July, so have it set in my mind that she should have a last party with her school friends and finish school before going.

ohforfoxsake Tue 21-Dec-10 20:34:36

I did wonder MIAM, but then your name doesn't fit the person (I think) you are! Have you name changed since the other thread then?!

All I can say, Smallerclanger, is that it will work however you do it. There is a lot of support there. And here. All in it together, and all that. wink

Mummyisamonster Tue 21-Dec-10 20:52:32

SmallClanger, I will be job hunting too. Laughingly the beeb claim they will help partners do this. When I asked how exactly, they referred me to various web sites!

Up until very recently (ie: days) I was really just NOT thinking about the move at all. When I did, I cried. How sad is that?? But now I'm actually looking forward to it; a bigger house, nicer schools, fresh air, new friends..a dog (!). Of course I'll miss London and all our friends but it's a positive move for us.

As ohforfoxsake says, all in it together.

Thank you FFS for your comment, I haven't name changed grin. We're up in Feb I think, and I'm sure I owe you a pint (or several) for all of your help!

SmallerClanger Tue 21-Dec-10 22:02:40

hi, we are also planning a trip in feb 1/2 term with the girls, once we've told them so they can start getting involved.

Mummyisamonster Thu 23-Dec-10 12:50:45

SmallerClanger, depends on how old your children are but we found showing them on a map where Manchester is handy. I've also been showing them (occassionally) details of houses we get from estate agents so they can get an idea of what our new house might be like and more importantly how big the garden might be! Seems to be working well

ohforfoxsake Fri 31-Dec-10 13:57:50

Just wanted to wish you all a Happy New Year, as big changes are on the horizon for 2011.

This time last year I was looking ahead at the immense, almost overwhelming, year ahead (we got married in April and moved in May). Looking back, with the support from the beeb, it was as good as it possibly could be and the upset was minimal.

I only have positive things to say about Manchester, so I wish you all the very best of luck with your relocations, and if I can do anything to help, I will.

smile

LollipopViolet Fri 31-Dec-10 16:09:38

Can I join? I was turned down to go on the BBC register but will graduate this year and am hoping to work and live in Manchester. Where exactly should I be looking for jobs? Could you lovely people recommend some places, other than Broadcast because I can't afford the subscription for that!

ohforfoxsake Fri 31-Dec-10 18:26:46

Have you tried North website

What are you hoping to do?

ohforfoxsake Fri 31-Dec-10 18:27:20

hmm, that didn't work

Its here http://www.bbc.co.uk/jobs/north/

LollipopViolet Sat 01-Jan-11 16:39:57

Fox, yeah I tried them, did the assessment and was turned down. I'm hoping to go into post production. Just totally lost and feeling a bit scared worried about going off into the world after uni (I'm still at home at the moment).

We've got to apply for so many jobs a week this semester at uni so I'm hoping they'll have some ideas on where to look.

ohforfoxsake Sat 01-Jan-11 19:04:30

Have you tried the independents? So much of the BBC stuff is out-sourced, it might be worth contacting the departments you want to be involved in and trying them. I'm not sure what the situation is with regards to staff jobs, but I think (and I'm not beeb so I don't know) contract/freelancers are used widely, and staff jobs are few and far between.

Sorry Lollipop for not being more help. I, like others on this thread, are being relocated but not actually employed by the beeb.

LollipopViolet Sat 01-Jan-11 20:53:38

It's fine, I'm grateful for ANY info at the moment. I'm definitely going to look at independent companies. I expected to have to go freelance, although don't know what the situation is with being a runner (which is where I'm assuming I'll start ), whether that's a freelance thing or what, but I'll certainly be looking around.

FWIW, I stayed in a hotel in the new MediaCityUK development and must say, when everything's all done, it'll look pretty sweet

Mummyisamonster Sun 02-Jan-11 10:48:53

LollipopViolet, for what it's worth, I know that the beeb do use lots of freelancers, as ohfor foxsake mentioned. Unfortunately I don't work for the bbc myself but DH does and he's mentioned that lots of BBC people aren't moving to Manchester so that suggests that there might be jobs coming up...

Good luck smile

Thanks OFFS for your new year wishes, currently I'm panicking about schools/houese/jobs but am hiding my head in the sand and trying to book a holiday hmm. BTW, we have finally papered our hallway, only took 8 months..... grin

topsmart Mon 03-Jan-11 19:29:00

Happy new year to you too Fox!
Cripes, we're supposed to be in manchester within 8 weeks. EIGHT WEEKS.

Am hoping this week everything will magically fall into place: that we will get an offer on our flat from lady who came for second viewing just before christmas; that we can then get a survey on the house we have an offer on in old trafford and get the ball rolling on the house purchase...

I have less than 2 weeks to apply for schools. And I haven't yet found a nursery.
Mummyisamonster, I finally washed our windows - took me 3 years to get round to it. This does not bode well.

Mummyisamonster Mon 03-Jan-11 19:46:22

topsmart, it'll be fine. I find fear is a great motivator grin.

I've recently re-found a notepad that I wrote notes in when attending a talk at the BBC last year with all the Manchester LEAs. I've got the name of Marilyn Golding at Trafford LEA written on it, I think she came to talk to us. I do remember that the Trafford LEA bods were all really helful and nice, and I've seen scrawled down on my notepad "Trafford like local schools for local kids".

But Fox would know more about the schools thang.

Whereabouts in Trafford are you going to be?

BTW, now the hall's re-papered, I'm noticing how grotty lived-in the rest of the house is. <<sigh>>

Ohforfoxsake Mon 03-Jan-11 22:19:16

Trafford were really good with us - I was quite annoyed with the woman who went to the press complaining she couldn't get her child into Park Road - only the most oversubscribed school in the area! It doesn't help the rest of us. I would definitely recommend building a rapport with them - I spoke/emailed Rosemary who was with Marilyn at that meeting. Also speak to the schools, they'll have a better idea of any places which may come up, and catchment areas.
Our kids won't be able to queue jump local kids - and that is right - unless the specific criteria is met (distance, social/medical needs). But it is hard when you dont actually live in the area. Its worth applying, and questioning whether, upon exchange of contracts, you can apply then.

Topsmart, have you been up and seen any schools yet? I came up for the day and, quite literally, ran from one school to the next.

We were just really, really lucky.

puffling Mon 03-Jan-11 22:24:10

Hi. I'm not part of the BBC move, but live up here. Aswell as looking at Chorlton/Didsbury, if you're thinking about moving up here, look at Monton and Worsley - very pleasant parts of Salford and a much easier commute into work.

Ohforfoxsake Mon 03-Jan-11 22:27:57

I meant to ask Topsmart, is 8 weeks (yikes!) your migration date? How have you found the whole relocation company thing? Helpful?
Lollipop - I had another thought. How are your PC/PA skills? A lot of people start off on a more clerical level - it's all about a foot in the door. You could also ring each department and find out what temping agencies they use. In my day (showing my age now!) Mondays Guardian was thick with jobs, now it barely has anything. :-(

montysorry Mon 03-Jan-11 22:53:24

Hi, not part of the move but we used to live up there. Great place to live btw.

If the commute is to Salford quays the Trafford really is your best bet and in terms of good schools you should look at hale/altrincham/sale/timperley.

Stockport also has excellent schools in places like the Heatons/Cheadle Hulme/Bramhall but a bit further round so more of a commute.

The only other place to consider could be Worsley. It is nice and St Marks is a good school but it is rather surrounded by grottiness I'm afraid.

Good luck

LollipopViolet Tue 04-Jan-11 11:03:50

PC skills are fine, not sure about my PA skills as I don't really know what they are! I'll keep plugging away, I'm on the books for one company, for either a placement or short term work, whichever crops up, so might get a foot in that way. Otherwise it'll be a lot of phoning, writing and emailing. Problem is I want to move up with a friend, and it's all hinging on me working as well as her (she's got qualifications in healthcare - lots of jobs there!)

Mummyisamonster Tue 04-Jan-11 12:01:45

Lollipop, I mentioned your situation very briefly to DH and his suggestion was to persevere with job applications to the bbc. HTH, I know you mentioned the register but wasn't sure what that referred to!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now