Any non local mums living in Liverpool?

(15 Posts)
Paulinemc2205 Mon 20-Jan-14 14:22:13

I just wondered if anyone could tell me how you cope without your family nearby. I am a ftm with a 8 week old girl. Me and my partner are both irish, living in south Liverpool. But my partner works away a lot and is only currently home at the weekends. I am really starting to freak out at how I am supposed do this on my own. I have plenty of friends but none with children and they all work.
How do i go to the dentist? I cant exactly leave my LO in the car seat can I? What if she starts screaming half way through getting a filling?
I went home to ireland on the boat at Christmas which was great because we could fit all the baby stuff in the car, but its very expensive, i will be getting flights home more often in the future, but how do you get on a plane with a tiny baby with all her stuff and your stuff? I only have 2 hands. You cant bring milk on the plane either, we use the ready made aptamil, how does that work?
What about when i go back to work? How do i arrange childcare, if my baby is sick i will be the only person to look after her or pick her up from nursery. No grannies or aunties here to help out. I don't think it would go down too well with work if i continually took days off or left early. But I think i would go nuts sitting in the house everyday, if i did not go back to work.
I love liverpool, i have been here for 10 years, and moving back to ireland isn't really an option for us at the moment.

If there is anyone out there with advice on how to cope it would be most appreciated. And sorry for the little rant. blush

Shotgun Mon 20-Jan-14 20:46:56

I think your anxieties are pretty universal and not restricted to those living in Liverpool (meant in the nicest possible way)!
You might get more traffic if you ask for the thread to be moved - maybe to Chat or Parenting?
I'm not useful as I'm a SAHM of older DCs, butI hope you get some reassuring answers.

Paulinemc2205 Mon 20-Jan-14 21:56:28

Thanks for responding. I know its not restricted to liverpool but i understand your point. I posted on this thread as its my first post and thought it would be better to get started in my local area. From reading other posts you ladies all seem to be quite familiar with each other. Also kind of hoped there would be other irish mums in liverpool, on mumsnet, in the same situation that i could get to know/ meet. But maybe not?

Shotgun Mon 20-Jan-14 23:28:56

Ah yes there could be - good point. I think the Liverpool board is relatively busy, whereas some ( like mine) hardly ever move.
But don't worry about posting publicly, so to speak - while there are a lot of posters who seem to 'know' each other, it's such a massive site now that you see unfamiliar names all the time and it matters not.
Plus lots of people namechange regularly in order to stay anonymous.
I've been here years and no fecker knows me!

Paulinemc2205 Tue 21-Jan-14 14:32:54

Haha well this fecker sort of knows you now!

Prambuddies Fri 21-Feb-14 22:02:57

Hi there paulinemc2205,
I've just moved to Liverpool 4 weeks ago and i have a 8 week old baby boy and guess what I'm from Ireland too (co.Antrim)!! I know what you mean about travelling back home it's a mammoth task! I'm getting the ferry back to LP tomorrow, cars packed to the brim with baby stuff! How can one wee baby need so much stuff!?!
It's so difficult not having your family close by and I'm going to be sad tomorrow saying goodbye to everyone!
My husband also works away at the moment he works two week shifts then he has a week off!
I don't have much advice on how to cope because I'm pretty much in the same position as you, but we'll manage because mother nature will kick in and a good cup of brewed tea always helps!!!

Paulinemc2205 Fri 21-Feb-14 22:31:49

Hi prambuddies!!
Thanks for the message!! U moved country with a teeny tiny baby??!!! Ur a brave one!
Im from tyrone. Goin home on the plane for the first time in a couple of weeks, just me and the baby!! Should b interesting!
Have you been to/lived in liverpool before now? How u finding it?
I ask because i have just found out i mite have to move to scotland nxt year!! Scary thought of starting a new life away from family AND friends! Safe travels for you and bambino tomorrow! X

Prambuddies Sun 23-Feb-14 19:43:57

Hi there paulinemc
Well I made it and everything went well, it was a long crossing but we booked our own cabin! My wee man is suffering from colic at the moment so that was a bit stressful!
We actually moved from Bath, so Liverpool has been a massive move, we moved when our baby was 4weeks old!!!! It was hard and very sad to leave our friends behind but very slow we're settling in!! Trying to get out and about now, ventured in Liverpool today for the first!! It seems nice went round the Albert docks! Now I have to start meeting people again which is hard,going to start going to a few baby groups and walks etc to get me out of the house!
Good luck when you fly home at least its a short flight. X

JackieTheFart Sun 20-Apr-14 22:41:09

Hi ladies - I've been in Liverpool for ten years now, can up for uni and never left! I'm originally from Watford near London so not quite as stressful a journey!

I don't have any family up here and DHs are shit, we rarely go out as a couple because after paying for a meal or whatever who can afford babysitters as well?!

I'm in the Old Swan area, if you fancy meeting up maybe we could get a babysitting circle going?

I've got three boys, twins of five and a two year old boy but I promise they go to bed early lol!

bes123 Wed 18-Jun-14 22:53:28

Im a single mum with no family around. You just cope and do the best you can. Have had my haircut twice in a year and half. Hardest time ever when ur both ill but u survive. Hope ur worries are over as its an old thread x

ErinneMoore Mon 08-Sep-14 12:09:57

Hiya! Just came across this post! I am northern irish too living with my husband also from NI in Wavertree. Just had my second daughter 10 weeks ago! I hope things have got easier for you both and your back at work or going back? With no family here myself i had to go back after my first or id have went spare!! Lol.
We've been here 15 years and love the city moving home is not on the cards! You'll be fine, just need to find ur own rhythm. smile

Mama9397 Mon 15-Sep-14 15:25:57

Hello young mums I know how hard and isolating being effectively a single mum with little ones and no family for support is, I did it for many years when we moved south many years ago. I have the reverse problem, moved to Liverpool with children pretty much grown up.
I would be happy to help out and be a surrogate aunty/ granny.

katy87x Mon 05-Jan-15 12:28:06

Hi i have lived here a couple of years.Im A single mum really gets me down sometimes i don't know hardly anyone. My sons 8.

unimum88 Tue 03-Mar-15 00:09:38

Hi,
I've only come across this! Also Irish living in Liverpool, single mum with 4 y.o. I've been here 3 and a half years and although I'm in daily contact with people, it has been very hard to make friends! I have a shipment of Barry's Tea coming over this weekend if you'd like a cuppa!! hahaha!
Hope you've got into a good routine since posting. I would recommend making use of the children's centres too. They have really great classes and I imagine it's a good way to meet people.

traceylynne123 Fri 01-Jan-16 18:27:37

Hiya Guys my post is a bit late but sure you never know someone might see it! I'm from Dublin living in Liverpool. 5 years and expecting our first baby July 11 th be great to chat to other irish expecting moms or moms , I'm in the same boat in trying to make friends here smile hopefully chat soon . Tracey in woolton x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now