Thinking of moving to Grove Park (Woodbury Gardens)

(6 Posts)
mifkipi Fri 22-Apr-16 23:38:46

Hi All! This is my first post and I just wanted to start off by saying that knowing that there is a community like mumsnet is very comforting.

We are a young couple who plan to have kids soon. Looking at moving to Grove Park, specifically Woodbury Gardens by the Grove Park train station. Does anyone have any tips or think there are any concerns. Are there any good schools?

RachelRagged Tue 02-May-17 00:44:28

Woobury Gardens is very near to my road OP . They are new builds (to the usual houses in the area) and on the edge of a large council estate (Downham). No concerns as far as I am concerned as always felt safe enough round here, personally.

It is well served by buses to Lewisham, Lee, Bromley, Eltham, Sydenham, Catford and Lewisham , and of course the Railway Station. Local shops such as Sainsburys Local and Tesco Express in the petrol garage . Greengrocer but no butchers , though there is one on Bromley Road, the other end of Downham Way.

Schools in this catchment would probably be Lancelot Primary or the relatively new Haberdasher Askes's Trinity Grove Infant and Primary School ,, the feeder school (as they say) to the local secondary Knight's Academy .

Hope that helps some .

RachelRagged Tue 02-May-17 00:46:42

I don't know what the first two schools are like but my youngest DS goes to Knight's' Academy and I'm not overly impressed . Some children do get into Bromley schools , such as Ravensbourne Secondary and Burnt Ash Primary School (both in Bromley Borough, unlike Grove Park which is Lewisham) .

RachelRagged Tue 02-May-17 00:47:26

Woodberry not Woo , Haha don't worry OP its not some local nickname for the place grin

OooohAh Tue 02-May-17 03:42:30

We live in Grove Park and probably not the best part either. However when we bought our house over 5 years ago it was great value for money Overall it's great for location, for London, for Bromley & public transport. If we didn't have a car we'd get on just fine.

However we now have a baby and there is no way I'd send her to school here.

It's a big shame as there is a lot of potential for the area and in some ways I really love it here. There's been three notable murders in the last few years, one just earlier this year on the grove park/Mottingham border.

The area where the station is which is close to Woodbury Gardens can also be loud at night with people 'hanging out' in cars with very loud music past midnight etc.

We love our house but we'd much rather pick it up and pop it elsewhere!

RachelRagged Tue 02-May-17 08:08:40

Oh yes forget about that as I don't go there late but yea often groups hanging out late (this is likely because the newsagent there opens till late/early hours I suspect) .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now