New mum just moved to sydenham - recommendations please

(12 Posts)
bearandbug Tue 06-Jan-15 15:00:31

This is my first MN post. DH and I moved to our new house in Sydenham on Christmas Eve with our 2 week old DS! Last 2 weeks have been a bit of a world wind. But the fog is clearing and I'm looking for inspiration on things to do for a new mum in the area. Any good recommendations for mother and baby groups / fitness groups or anything else that's on in the area gratefully received! We're in the kirkdale rd area of Sydenham. Also does anyone have anything to say about Wells Park Practice GP? I need to join a new practice so would be good to hear what people think.
Right sorry for long rambling post. Thanks for any responses!

rabia14 Thu 08-Jan-15 08:09:45

Hey! Welcome to Sydenham smile iv lived in Sydenham over 20 years and a first time mum so mother baby world is very new to me. My bubba is 6 weeks today! In regards to wells park practice again iv been with them since no problems great doctors/ nurses!

bearandbug Thu 08-Jan-15 10:22:34

Hi Rabia14. Thanks for the response. Congrats on your new baby!
Will hopefully register at Wells practice this week. I'm managing one outing a day at the moment as everything takes so long getting a newborn out of the house ! I'm close to the Grove Centre on Jews Walk and I see they have some baby groups so I might check that out at some point also.

LocalEditorLewisham Sun 11-Jan-15 20:58:54

Hi Bearandbug! Welcome to our site. Hope you've settled into your new place. I lived in the Kirkdale area for many years up until recently. I was registered with Wells Practice. They have some lovely GPs there. I would say that it is like any other practice in that it can sometimes be a bit frustrating trying to get an appointment, but I think they have improved in that area. In terms of groups, there are a number of activities in the area, at the children's centres on Kelvin Grove and Thorpewood Road. Also there are a couple of singing sessions at Forest Hill library, sessions at the Grove Centre on Jews Walk and also at the youth centre on Wells Park road. So plenty to choose from! Hope you enjoy Kirkdale, we really enjoyed our time there.
Melanie, Editor

Stepatatime Sun 11-Jan-15 21:15:04

Never had a problem at Wells Park practice. Also worth mentioning the kids sessions at the Horniman - think they are called busy bees or something like that?? There is a great playgroup on Friday mornings at Trinity church on Sydenham Park. Starts at ten and gets pretty busy so you need to be on time. They have play stuff, snacks and a singing session. It's lovely.

DoiDoiDoiDoi Mon 12-Jan-15 08:50:39

I don't find Wells Park Practice very well run - the nurses are nice but you have to wait ages for an appointment, the reception staff are some of the most miserable and unhelpful people you could hope to meet and the doctors are a mixed bag. But there's literally no alternative apart from the bizarre and decrepit single handed practice on the railway bridge and nobody wants that.

Lots of things to do - the youth centre on wells park road has lots of free sessions for babies including 'latino bambino' dance class which is fun.

Lots of listings on here: se26kids.com/ and the Sydenham Mums group on Facebook is quite active.

I'ts a great place to live if you have young kids - parks - as well as Wells Park there's Mayow Park (which now has a cafe), Crystal Palace Park (the nursery in the park does stay and play sessions during school holidays) and the Horniman within walking distance. Also Sydenham Hill Woods, Dulwich Park and a few little nature reserves.

bearandbug Thu 22-Jan-15 16:26:45

Think you all for your responses. I've gone ahead and registered at Wells Park so will see how they do. There was a queue of about 6 people today and one receptionist . Finally a second decided to join but it's not the snappiest service is it! It's just so convenient as 2 min walk for us.

So far I'm loving my new area and have been to Wells Park and CP Park a few times. Has anyone done the power pramming in CP park btw? Was considering giving it go if it's still on.

Thanks for suggestion of youth centre DoiDoiDoi. Will definitely check it out.
And also Stepatatime thank you for your suggestion. DS is 6 weeks now but obviously doesn't really 'play'. Is it still worth going to the play and stay sessions or are these mostly for older babies who interact more? Although I do like the sound of the singing session.

Need to start getting out there a bit more but we've just had so many visitors which is lovely but means I never get a hong done!

Purplepalmyoga Fri 23-Jan-15 11:59:45

Hi There,

Welcome to the area and Congrats on new bub! Regarding fitness groups I can highly recommend Twist studios in Forest hill, lots of group classes, which cater to little bubs to like Postnatal Piltates; check out twiststudios.co.uk/index.php/twist-classes/

I teach yoga classes there on a Sunday 9am, though am also looking to start a postnatal yoga class if I can gather some interest from potential students.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask..Enjoy and hope you do manage to get our and explore!

bearandbug Fri 23-Jan-15 12:26:50

Thanks purplepalmyoga

I'd definitely be interested in post natal yoga! If it was a weekday class then are babies welcome too? Hopefully a sleeping baby!

Are there currently any classes at Twist for mum's and babies specifically ?

Purplepalmyoga Fri 23-Jan-15 22:13:41

Hiya, yes there currently is a Pilates class for mum and bub, so maybe try that out and see what you think?

I would possibly hold postnatal class on an evening, prob Friday but am yet to confirm on this..Of course baby welcome too! Can I ask have you ever done any yoga before? How about any exercise pre-baby? Feel free to email me direct on maryschnorrenberg@hotmail.com..

Talk soon..

mccahill15 Tue 12-Jan-16 15:14:39

Hi - I wanted to ask same question (we moved to sydenham in Dec 2015 and have a 12 week old boy). Are you happy with Wells Practice? Many thanks

mccahill15 Tue 12-Jan-16 15:24:36

Hi - I wanted to ask same question (we moved to sydenham in Dec 2015 and have a 12 week old boy). Are you happy with Wells Practice? Many thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now