Hatcham Temple Grove Freeschool

(6 Posts)
wendyi Thu 02-Jan-14 22:12:27

Just moved to New Cross and am in the process of looking at primary school options for my son. I wondered if any one had any experience of the new Haberdashers Askes free school? It's our closest school, but feels a bit untested at the moment. We might have a chance of getting into John Stainer also, which I liked a lot when I visited.

Endwell Mon 06-Jan-14 21:18:43

Children of friends of mine go to both the new free school and John stainer and seem happy with both. I was worried about the free school being untested and personally I didn't like John stainer so we chose elsewhere but as I said the feedback from friends has been positive. One of my concerns was how the bi-lingual teaching will work from y1 and that of course is still untested.

wendyi Tue 07-Jan-14 00:01:37

Hi there, thanks for your response. May I ask which school you chose and how you are finding it? Also, what were your reservations about John Stainer, if you don't mind me asking?

Endwell Tue 07-Jan-14 10:47:40

Hi, I ended up going privately and he absolutely loves his school but that's probably not a lot of help to you.

With John stainer I was concerned about the size of the site/lack of green space/playing fields and the huge expansion of numbers (one of the benefits of the free school is the access to the secondary school facilities), I also personally didn't take to the headmistress (although I know lots of people think she is fantastic) and I was refused a meeting/visit beyond the very busy/crowded open day despite the school apparently priding itself on engaging with parents/local community/new parents etc. also the classrooms felt a bit chaotic and discipline didn't seem great from what I saw. I just felt that it wasn't right for us but as I say that is very much a personal view and I know people who are very happy with it (and of course it recently got an outstanding rating).

I quite liked myatt garden from looking around and was quite impressed with the head there but we were a bit far to stand a chance of getting in there also again the size of the site was an issue for me.

I would have chosen the free school if I'd decided not to go private. However I think it's such a personal choice as to what is likely to suit your dc and you.

wendyi Tue 07-Jan-14 13:48:54

That's very helpful, thank you

Kenderite Thu 27-Feb-14 10:05:38

Hi there

I know this is a late response to you but have you thought about Kender Primary School? We're hidden away in the Kender triangle in New Cross Gate. We're a rapidly improving school with lots of lovely outdoor space that we're very proud of. We also welcome visitors to show our school off to!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now