Recommend Project Manager for house refurbishment?

(5 Posts)
Slave2twins Sun 14-Dec-14 21:43:47

Hello
We are buying a house in Market Harborough but still living in London (renting) so I'd like to employ a project Manager to oversee the refurbishment before we move in.

Can anyone recommend someone and google searches are coming up blank :-/

Thanks!

betweenhillsandsea Mon 15-Dec-14 07:06:53

We've always used a chartered surveyor when we've done this (twice!). They normally have all the local contacts for sending out tenders as well and would charge less than an architect. I'm not from the area but choose s couple from RICS and chat to them.

Slave2twins Mon 15-Dec-14 22:24:58

Thanks betweenhills, I'll have a look at that.

I really want to make the best use of the space but I feel like I'm getting in over my head and anxious that I could going down a route that is too expensive for us.

betweenhillsandsea Tue 16-Dec-14 15:40:21

The best bet is to try to find similar properties that have been extended or refurbished in the area and then get the plans from the planning applications at the council. We just 'reversed' the neighbours plans for our last extension, saving lots of money! Also search prime location for floor plans of similarly sized houses... Surveyors will have done similar renovations before and can offer ideas. I think there are also schemes where architects offer a free upfront consultation. I've never used one as I've come from a long line of surveyors.....

Slave2twins Thu 18-Dec-14 21:49:00

Thanks for the advice betweenhills, it swayed my decision when selecting the surveyor to do our buildings survey. He is going to also advise on the complexity (or hopefully simplicity!) of the side return and how costs might be limited for a modest budget.
He did also mention knowing a local architect who may offer a free consultation.
I may struggle to find similar properties that have done the same in the area- where we live at the moment in London side return extensions are going up everywhere but I didn't see any when doing our property search in Leicestershire. That does worry me a bit as I may struggle to find builders experienced in doing this sort of extension.

I have my heart set on it now though.......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now