DS starts school next Sept - Should I think pre/post school Childminder now?

(2 Posts)
dlg04 Tue 15-Sep-09 21:55:52

Hi. Live in LS16 and DS is due to start school next Sept. Going to look at schools for choosing but am a bit worried about pre/post school care as DH and I both start work at 8.15 (on the days we both work), one in Bradford and one near Wakefield. Do I start thinking about childminders as a possibility now? and how do I go about finding one? Any suggestions please.....

LatinDAISYcal Sun 20-Sep-09 01:35:35

If you look on the education leeds website there's a link to the childcare information service which has a search for local childcare based on postcode.

Best thing is to get a recommendation. do you have any friends with children at the school your DS is hopefully going to who can recommend a local childminder. The school will probably be able to tell you who the local childminders are as well, as they tend to only pick up from the one school.

some schools have before and after school clubs as well so this might be an option for you rather than childminders. Again, the school will have all the information you need on their arrangements.

We used the after school club for my DS when he was in reception, and then swapped to a childminder. The after school club was open until 6.30 and the childminder charged hourly, and charged pro rata of we were running late. I used to try and drop him off at school myself, but occasionally I needed to attend an early meeting out of town and would drop him off at the childminders at 7.30. It all depends on the individual childminder, so worth checking out who is available and what their terms are. There will be numbers on that site I linked and they will be happy to chat with you.

HTH smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now