Making friends at baby classes

(12 Posts)
Leedsnew Mon 23-Oct-17 17:20:24

Hello..

I am a new mum and new to Leeds....We moved last month and this month I signed up to 3 music bugs classes in the area and I also went to library storytelling and singing class. So before I gave birth other mums where I lived assured me all these classes and meeting groups are an excellent way to make friends in the new area...As supposedly they have done it...( I am not sure they have after what I have experienced). I went to 2 classes and I saw few babies the same age as my little boy...I smiled..asked what the baby name is...all those things...Mums just had no interest in the conversation, let alone potentially be friends....Am I doing something wrong or mums just not looking for anything other than to entertain the baby and get out of the house at this sort of group events? Should I just go for the benefit of the baby and stop making eye contact altogether with babies and mums?

ShannonKhy88 Tue 31-Oct-17 12:38:53

Hey, oh no don’t tell me this, I’m due any day and planning on going to all the classes in my area-really want to make mum friends, are all the mums really cliquey? What part of Leeds are you in and have you made any mum friends since posting this?? X

Leedsnew Tue 31-Oct-17 13:23:15

Hi..not really made any friends but I did chat to one mum this week..she got girl my sons age..4-5 months..I ll keep going to classes though as it's good fun for the baby..I'm in roundhay.

Sunnydays1980 Wed 01-Nov-17 05:25:14

Leedsnew I am in Roundhay too and must admit that this has been my experience too. The mums are so cliquey with their own groups of friends it's impossible to get anything out of people.

Mugshotzforlunch Thu 02-Nov-17 19:38:05

I point blank refuse to go to baby groups of any kind. The only mums who talk just want a pat on the back for having given birth and the others just ignore their children and look disinterested in anything.
Can't abide them. Sorry.
Welcome to Leeds btw OP. grin

Allgoodfun Fri 03-Nov-17 13:21:24

Mine are older now but I remember this well. I went to several groups where I could have been invisible, especially toddler groups. I just tried loads of different ones til I eventually found friendly ones.
Have you tried baby massage? I found that good as plenty of chat whilst massaging the babies. I went to one in Kirkstall, but it's several years ago.
When baby is a bit older try the council sports centre toddler gym classes. I made friends there, often I was the one to suggest going for a coffee at the sports centre cafe after class, rather than it already happening, and then anyone new would get invited to join us.
Good luck, keep going and hopefully you'll find your people!

yumyumpizza Fri 03-Nov-17 13:22:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Leedsnew Mon 13-Nov-17 10:54:37

Thanks..yes, i find it a bit strange that everyone is so disinterested. I would siggest a coffee, but most of them drive and I walk 40 mins one way to class....so its like I could walk 15 mins to get to coffee shop, but I am not sure they would follow me in their cars and meet me there....would they?

Leedsnew Mon 13-Nov-17 10:56:53

I saw some sort of an exercise class for mums in the park twice already...not sure how to get involved in that....maybe more chances there...

Roundhaymum Sat 18-Nov-17 19:28:18

Leednew I’m in Roundhay and there are a couple of classes run by Chapel Alperton Pilates that seemed quite sociable when I had my little boy a couple of years ago- I think there’s a Pilates class on a Wednesday and pramercise in roundhay Park on a Thursday but they have a website you can google. I only managed them a couple of times as my little boy would never settle for very long but hoping to try again in a couple of weeks when my second is old enough. Also I think the pram class you will have seen in the park is wheelie fit (http://www.wheeliefitmum.co.uk/wfm-classes-2.html). The local children’s centres also run some play groups, I have heard that the one at Moortown on a Friday morning for under12 months is a good place to meet people. Other than that I agree with the suggestion of just trying a load of groups/ classses until you find ones that work for you. Lots of them do trial classes and even those that don’t I always found generally let you pay for a single class before signing up for the term if you email and ask and they have space. There are also a lot of local church playgroups that you could try- st Andrews do a tue and fri (and possibly a wed) at 10am but I think most of the churches around here do them depending on where in roundhay you are

Roundhaymum Sat 18-Nov-17 19:29:14

www.armccgroup.org.uk/activities/- ps link for children’s centres

Leedsnew Sat 18-Nov-17 19:44:17

Thanks, Roundhaymum!!! Really good info!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now