help and advice please primary schools near shadwell?

(5 Posts)
josieemmer Thu 05-Nov-15 10:36:04

hi everyone,
we're relatively new to the area so just finding our feet. our first child is due to start primary next sept so we're just making our first steps to choosing primary schools.
i'd be so grateful to anyone who is familiar with the locality who can help us with advice on nearby primary's?
any help would be gratefully accepted, thanks x

Erzulie Thu 05-Nov-15 10:56:02

Realistically you won’t get a choice of where your child goes I’m afraid. Schools are pretty much all over subscribed - actually I’m not sure about Bardsey and Thorner but they are further from me so I don’t know much about them at all. I do know a couple of people with children at Bardsey and they are very happy with it. Shadwell, Wigton Moor and Highfield are all excellent, but Shadwell is only one form entry so you have to live pretty close by to get in. Wigton Moor and Highfield are both two form entry, but both had to take a bulge class this year due to there being many families in the Roundhay area getting allocated schools miles away and none of their 5 choices. If you look on the council website you can see maps where the intakes for each school has come from in previous years, which should give you an idea of which you would qualify for.

josieemmer Thu 05-Nov-15 20:02:00

thanks erzulie, we're 0.3 miles from shadwell and apparently out of the catchment..unbelievable? we can see it just over the fields from our lounge..very disappointing.

Erzulie Tue 10-Nov-15 09:54:03

That doesn’t surprise me at all unfortunately. Don’t forget though you can get put on the waiting list once you have been allocated your place, but in the meantime have a look at the open days at the other schools nearby, we are so lucky round here that most of the local schools are great.

josieemmer Tue 10-Nov-15 10:44:10

thanks erzulie, here's hoping...x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now