Local Leeds Knowledge required....please ��

(13 Posts)
Macbeth77 Sun 04-Oct-15 06:53:38

Hi everyone

Sorry to ask the same million questions that have been asked before, I am working my way through previous discussions, I promise.

We are a Scottish family, lived in Southern Ireland for 14 years, 2 in OZ and now based in NZ, we have a chance to return to the UK, We have been contemplating it for a while, we are missing not having family close (but not too close...lol...), decent shopping and cheap and cheerful trips to Europe and America. I'm ashamed to say we have never visited Leeds and therefore again we would be hopping in feet first. I doubt if we accept the move there would be time for us to visit therefore I am probably going to annoy the life out of you wise people by asking questions. Sorry in advance.

Hubby's employment would either be Morley within that radius. We would be looking for a lovely place to live. We would probably be renting first before we get sorted out and commit to buying. I doubt we would last long living in the city itself, we are used to green wide open spaces or small citiy suburbs. I am thinking a local small town or Villiage without too much hassle for hubby to get to work. I am probably dreaming!! We are bringing our 2 woofs back with us so somewhere with good walks close by. Hubby would say a local would also be a bonus.

Where are the best schools in Leeds?

Thank you in advance for any words of wisdom you can share ??

whatsthatcomingoverthehill Mon 05-Oct-15 13:38:35

I don't know much about that side of Leeds. It's a bit mixed with some quite deprived areas, but some nice bits too. (Tong village for instance is nice, and has a pub by the cricket pitch etc). You also get more for your money than in the so called 'golden triangle' between North Leeds, Harrogate and York. Farnley and Morley Academy are both rated outstanding by Ofsted.

It's all quite a built up area. To get your town/village in the countryside you'd have to move a bit away from Morley I reckon.

Haarlem Thu 14-Jan-16 18:27:53

Hubby & woofs hmm

Elizabeth29 Thu 14-Jan-16 20:51:27

Aww, don't be so mean, Haarlem.

Pretty much anywhere in Leeds would be easy to get to Morley from and there are lots of green bits - Meanwood, Adel, Gledhow, Horsforth, Rawdon.

Haarlem Thu 14-Jan-16 20:56:27

Hardly mean

Elizabeth29 Thu 14-Jan-16 21:35:43

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Haarlem Fri 15-Jan-16 06:36:56

Name calling, nice

Elizabeth29 Fri 15-Jan-16 07:00:19

You know what I mean by that. Local boards are to help people. We are generally nice people on the local boards, sharing knowledge of the area and giving advice. It really isn't the place for being sniffy about people's terminology and pulling faces. Save that for the real MN.

Haarlem Fri 15-Jan-16 12:03:05

Erm, thank you for the advice. I will however continue to do as I please

Elizabeth29 Fri 15-Jan-16 12:09:38

Welcome to Mumsnet Local Leeds, I am Amanda your local editor. Have a look around, want to have a chat? Join us on our Local Talk forum, we are a friendly bunch!

Well, most of us smile

Haarlem Fri 15-Jan-16 12:41:04

Hmmm passive aggressive there Elizabeth.

Get Down from your moral high horse. Make a balanced judgement based on all available evidence. I have responded to several posts on this board with advice & information.

Anyway, I will leave you to have the last word as I have better things to do than be berated by you.

I have reported you for the name calling too

Elizabeth29 Fri 15-Jan-16 14:50:10

Make a balanced judgement based on all available evidence

I merely questioned your unkind post to a brand new poster on this thread and reminded you of the general spirit of the local boards. Your posts elsewhere on this board are not in question.

When you, Haarlem, were new to this board, people from Leeds gave you plenty of friendly advice. They did not sneer at your choice of language. If they had, perhaps you would not have returned.

I'm happy for my post to be deleted and for your posts showing unnecessary arseyness to a newcomer to remain, so that people may draw their own conclusions. My sentiment will still be clear.

Anyway, I will leave you to have the last word as I have better things to do than be berated by you.

We'll see wink

LocalEditorLeeds Mon 18-Jan-16 15:34:21

Macbeth77, I am sorry we have seemed to have moved away from your original question!

Have you thought about how long your husband want to commute for? Calverley and Horsforth are both nice areas with restaurants/pubs and there is a good park is Calverley for dog walking. Also Oakwell Hall is great for walks which is closer to Morley. Tong village which as already been said may be an option. Temple Newsam area near the house is also nice.

My brother has lived in both Batley and East Ardsley and didn't mind them but wouldn't recommend them as such.

<goes to change the opening spiel to "we are a friendly most of the time, as long as the wine doesn't run out" wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now