Moving to Leeds

(15 Posts)
etyler777 Wed 04-May-11 20:03:25

Hi, my husband is interviewing for a job in LS1 as I write this and all going well we'll be moving to Leeds by September this year!

Thing is, I'm a south-eastern girl through and through, don't know anyone in the North and so need all the help in knowing the best areas of Leeds in terms of family-friendly, decent primary schools etc.

I currently have a 14month old little boy and have recently found out we're expecting #2 due 19th December!

Any advice, tips, suggestions (even if it's areas to avoid) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Spagbolagain Wed 04-May-11 20:14:34

Hi, it depends what you are looking for, how far out of Leeds centre you want to be, and how much money you have to spend! there are nice suburban areas to the north (Eg Roundhay, Headingley and Calverley) which are still inside the ringroad. A bit further out, you can feel quite rural but without actually going that far. There are some delightful villages towards Wetherby and Harrogate, but it gets pricier.

If you are looking for a bit of the South East transplanted to Yorkshire, then Harrogate itself fits the bill. Basically the Leeds area is a real mixture, it's got everything from Emmerdale-like villages to nice big Victorian houses and parks to swanky city-centre stuff. And then some not so nice bits too. But you can take your pick!

Tanyaaah Wed 04-May-11 20:15:41

I live in Chapel Allerton, LS7. It's a really nice area with a villagey feel with planty of cafes and restaurants but only a couple of miles to city centre, and there are loads of baby and toddler groups around.

Avoid; Hyde Park - big student area, same for much of Headingley, although a lot of Headingley is lovely.
Lots of places to avoid really and lots of good bits! You need more opinions I think, and it depends on your budget.

Good luck!

etyler777 Wed 04-May-11 20:17:44

Budget unknown until specifics of my husband's job is defined - it'll also depend whether we sell our house down here, or rent it and rent in Leeds. I guess we'll rent initially whilst trying to find our feet.

Thanks for comments so far - all helpful stuff as I'm such a novice!

HumptyDumpty1 Fri 08-Jul-11 21:53:38

Horsforth is nice - fantastic schools. It's ls18 and although seems far away from town centre is only 6 miles away and has a train station with town only 2 short stops away smile

etyler777 Sun 10-Jul-11 20:09:13

Thanks - someone else mentioned Horsforth to me too.

It's only 7 weeks until we move now - craziness!

GoldenGreen Sun 10-Jul-11 20:12:53

I would recommend Horsforth too. Any particular questions - just ask.

hermioneweasley Sun 10-Jul-11 20:15:07

I am a SE expat as well. Love it here - 20 mins in one direction and you've got a fab city centre ( just missing John lewis and SElfridges, but manchester isn't that far away), 20 mins in the other and you're in some of the most beautiful countryside you'll find anywhere in the world. Hope move goes well for you and congrats on DCs!

swedie Sun 10-Jul-11 20:19:39

I live in saltaire and would really recommend it, its 15 mins by train from leeds but with lots of green space. It also has a real arty vibe with am arts festival every year. And has good schools. As a fellow southerner, if you are planning on going up and down a lot, I would seriously consider somewhere south of leeds like the nicer parts of Wakefield. Being on the m1 and closer via train makes a real difference in journey time for you and your visitors. Good luck!

Familyguyfan Mon 18-Jul-11 08:24:33

Hi, Leeds is fabulous so you won't be disappointed. Think I should mention Garforth to you. Very suburban, two stations and 15 mins into Leeds, good motorway links, nice high street, but the best bit? The best state school in Leeds. It's a corker, although that does affect house prices a bit. All the primary feeder schools (and the high school) are outstanding in Ofsted, so might be worth giving it some consideration.

Good luck with the move!

plrae Wed 20-Jul-11 21:54:10

Hi, Garforth is good, very good primary schools and excellent high school, infact it is the best state school in the North based on results according to the head!! Plenty of local amenities brand new library, coffee shops, shops, supermarket and lots of community things going on!!

Familyguyfan Wed 20-Jul-11 22:01:11

Thank God plrae! I thought maybe I'd been a bit strong in my praise, but I feel better now you've confirmed it!

missymoo2411 Thu 21-Jul-11 19:28:42

rothwell is lovely to live in good motor way links 2

Deesus Thu 21-Jul-11 19:35:11

Any closer to choosing somewhere etyler?

I'm in Roundhay, work is LS1 and am pg with my first (due 7th Jan). smile

plrae Sat 01-Oct-11 16:14:53

Have you moved to Leeds then, if so where???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now