Mums-to-Be, North Lancs and Cumbria?

(100 Posts)
DisplacedDiva Mon 07-Jan-13 15:56:43

Hi everyone...this was to carry on our discussion from the thread www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/1649990-Any-North-Lancashire-South-Cumbria-Mums-to-Be-Out-There

Flo2312 Mon 14-Jan-13 19:26:13

Does anyone know the current cost of parking at the RLI?

DisplacedDiva Tue 15-Jan-13 16:11:14

silent sammit flo We could either let the Lancastrians come for a day at the seaside and cake, or the Morecambrians could have a day in town (with cake)? What does anyone think, Lancaster or Morecambe for a meet-up? Anyone got any tips for child and mum-friendly cafes for a meet-up? Anyone from further away gets a day out!

Anyone have any preferred dates for a meet-up? Any preferred places?

Sammit and Flo might see you at Poulton too...

Ewww, not liking this 'might be turned away from the RLI' thing...... It's worrying....

Sammit7169 Wed 16-Jan-13 06:52:40

an on mat leave from 31/1, baby due 11/3 si somewhere between those dates. Not long moved back to area so dont really know any cafes/venues

DisplacedDiva Wed 16-Jan-13 14:56:03

I'm away beginning of February, so some time after that? What does anyone think?

SilentCrescendo Fri 18-Jan-13 11:55:51

I work from home most mornings so could sneak off for cake important networking at any time?

If we're thinking Lancaster, hows about either the Zone soft play or the Novel cafe (loads of toys and books for the kids upstairs)?

February seems to be amognst the general consensus too, shall we go for a day in the middle-ish of Feb?

DisplacedDiva Fri 18-Jan-13 16:51:19

Sounds good to me...I'd thought of the Novel Cafe...also big enough if people need to get pushchairs in. Really miss the one in Morecambe as was a great place if you had LOs with you.

OK...any suggestions for dates mid-Feb or times? Probably not too early so the Morecambe crew can get there without being trampled by schoolkids?

Flo2312 Sun 20-Jan-13 13:46:36

Mid Feb is fine provided i've not just given birth! (due 19th - DD was 9 days late though) Novel cafe is best for me - I can't manage soft play with my DD at the moment and she is too young to go round by herself. Earlyish is best for me (like 10/10.30) so I can get home for naptime the best part of the day

I think the week commencing 18th is half term so that might be good or bad depending on kids ages/ time off work?

Alternatively Thursday or Friday i'm toddler so can meet wherever!

DisplacedDiva Sun 20-Jan-13 20:02:06

Thought somewhere after 10 February- 10.30 or so would be fine for me, what do people think?

As for half-term, depends whether people would like to bring their little darlings...

Dates, anyone?

Sammit7169 Mon 21-Jan-13 04:57:46

10 th is good for me, where is the novel cafe?

DisplacedDiva Mon 21-Jan-13 10:45:05

10 February would be good for me too, anyone else? Say about 10.30?

Sammit www.fancyacuppa.co.uk/reviews/2012/07/11/the-novel-cafe-lancaster/

It's effectively behind the back entrance to TK Maxx.

Sas123 Mon 21-Jan-13 11:11:22

Hi,
I was on the other board but it disappeared from my news feed and I didn't realise it had moved over here.
I'm 33 weeks with my first, due to go on maternity leave in a couple of weeks and the first of my friends to do this so would love to meet up! 10th Feb would be my first week of leave so sounds good to me.

DisplacedDiva Mon 21-Jan-13 13:53:46

Righty-ho....shall we pencil in 10.30 on the 10th February, Novel Cafe, Church Street, Lancaster?? Will put it on the meet-ups board too.

DisplacedDiva Mon 21-Jan-13 14:01:19

Okay, Ladies!!! The meet-up is now official- it's on the North Lancs Meet-Ups at local.mumsnet.com/lancashire/group-meet-ups/north-lancs
So if you fancy coming, join the list over there!!!

SilentCrescendo Tue 22-Jan-13 12:13:37

Hello, this has moved fast! Just adding my twopenneth to say I'll be there! Shall we have a secret nod/handshake?! All be wearing a red caranation and carrying a rolled up copy of the financial times?!

DisplacedDiva Tue 22-Jan-13 15:17:41

I know...we should really have a secret Mumsnet handshake or something... Closer to the date, we'll have to put up flattering approximate descriptions of ourselves!!

DisplacedDiva Tue 29-Jan-13 11:20:39

Right, ladies. The time is nigh (ish). Don't forget, 10 February, 10.30, Novel Cafe Lancaster. If you want to officially join the meet-up group, it's here [[ local.mumsnet.com/lancashire/group-meet-ups/north-lancs]]

I'll be the one with the polka-dots. smile

DisplacedDiva Thu 31-Jan-13 20:21:44

Oodsigma posted this..thought it might be of interest....

www.nwemail.co.uk/home/barrow-consultant-led-maternity-service-and-scbu-transferred-to-lancaster-1.1031591?referrerPath=home

They are closing maternity and scbu at Barrow, and transferring all this to Lancaster...eventually opening a midwife-led unit at Barrow.This is seriously going to put mothers and babies at risk...and maybe explains why Lancaster is telling people it's going to be overcrowded...

Wetoopere Thu 31-Jan-13 20:39:18

It's an temporary measure for now but it's been threatened for ages.

Flo2312 Thu 31-Jan-13 20:53:26

So will midwife led births be more likely to be directed to barrow/helme chase? What if they need a transfer if things change? Does it mean no CS in Barrow? I am glad i'm not in barrow expecting a high risk birth - that is awful. Its not like Barrow Kendal and Lancaster are close in distance. Barrow is 50 miles away!

I think I might ask my MW next friday what this will mean for me as I intend to be using RLI's maternity services in the very near future.

Wetoopere Fri 01-Feb-13 07:36:26

Yes no C-section or anything that may need dr or scubu.

I'm booked for a section in 5 weeks and was advised by the matron I spoke to to visit Lancaster & get my head round being there ( I have AND and high anxiety about hospital stays).

PaleHousewife Fri 01-Feb-13 12:49:34

Im disgusted by this, massive protests planned in barrow. When it snowed last week we were cut off from lancaster completely

Wetoopere Fri 01-Feb-13 13:32:47

Meeting 6pm at Greengate school in Barrow tonight. Saw it on twitter.

DisplacedDiva Fri 01-Feb-13 16:12:10

Ok Ladies, anyone planning to come to the meet-up may not have noticed (I didn't) that next Friday is NOT the 10 February, but the 8th. Therefore, the meet-up is at The Novel Cafe, New St, Lancaster, at 10.30 am Friday 8 February If anyone has any problems with this, get in touch! Not even sure Novel Cafe is open on Sundays (oops, pregnancy jelly brain, but none of you noticed either!!)

DisplacedDiva Fri 01-Feb-13 16:18:20

PaleHousewife Wetoopere I think the planned changes at Furness General are potentially really dangerous. Plus how are Barrow mums going to have any support (family or otherwise) in Lancaster...

Are they going to expand the car park at the RLI to deal with all the poor people having to shuttle back and forth every day against their will? Considering DH and I had to park about a mile away last week, before all this came in, just for maternity appt....

As you've both said, will be interesting if the weather gets bad again....DH says it's going to cost them a fortune in helicopter time.... I'm just concerned for the safety of the women concerned... makes you wonder if the warnings of overcrowding at RLI means they knew this all along...?

Wetoopere Fri 01-Feb-13 16:38:03

It's been a threat for a while.
I'm concerned over the visiting hours too as Lancaster are shorter than Barrow and the only way my children could visit is to take them out of school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now