Lancaster & Morecambe MNers with babys - What to chat/meet?

(31 Posts)
haloflo Fri 24-Jun-11 10:04:08

Hi

I know this is a slow moving board but I hope I get a few replies. I live in Lancaster city centre and have a 3 month old DD. I'm 26 and the first amongst my friends to have a baby. I work at the council and am currently 4 months into my 10 month maternity leave.

Currently I go to Appletree Children's Centre in Lancaster and Poulton Children's Centre in Morecambe. I do yoga, massage, sensory play & I also do bounce and rhyme at the library. Although it sounds like I do alot i've found it hard to make friends at these structured groups. I would like to meet people on a more informal basis but am not sure how.

On a wednesday I go to a bf support group which I love and there are a couple of girls who I go for coffee with first. I love this day of the week and it comes and goes so quickly.

I am far too nervous to go to any baby groups at churches/halls etc plus I am not religious and don't know if this is a problem?

What do other local MNers do with their babies? What is good/less good?

We are hoping to start swimming soon at Holiday Inn but I am waiting for a phone call about new course to start.

I thought i'd start a new thread as some of the others are quite old. Hope thats ok.

bettyboo83 Tue 30-Aug-11 15:51:19

Hi Haloflo. I live in Torrisholme so handy for any groups really and I have a car. Yes I'm breastfeeding so wanted to go to a BF group. Thanks for the link, I'll have a look what's on when. I just wanted to meet others with babies as I'm the first of my friends to have one. Thanks again, maybe see you at one of the groups x

haloflo Tue 30-Aug-11 07:53:56

Congratulations betty

Where do you live? Lancaster or Morecambe? Do you have a car?

Are you bfing? Bf support at Poulton Childrens Centre in Morecambe is a good group for chat/support. I first went there when my DD was 3 weeks old and found it really welcoming. I still go every week even though my DD is 5 mo now.

When your DS is a bit older baby massage is a good one. There is one at all the Children's Centres. They always say to wait until the baby has had its 6 week check but at Appletree I know they don't mind you going earlier - you just can't do some of the leg massages.

Clinic's are good for meeting people with babies the same age or just bumping into people you met/saw at antenatal classes.

What sort of thing do you fancy? Babymaze has all the local groups listed.

bettyboo83 Mon 29-Aug-11 15:45:09

Hello, I have a 2wo DS and am starting the think about braving the outside world and go to some groups! What would you recommend? xxx

haloflo Mon 22-Aug-11 11:50:45

Hi i've pmed you mummyofprawn The breastfeeding group in Poulton CC is both - advice and meeting up. I go every week for the social side but the lady who runs it is a bf counsellor so can give advice. She is away for the next 2 weeks so the group will probably be a bit quiet but there will still be a few of us there.

I've never been to the appletree group but believe its quiet. I could be wrong though. Clinic is straight after so could be worth getting there a bit early to see whats what if you were going to clinic anyway.

MummyOfPrawn Mon 22-Aug-11 10:46:48

Hi everyone, I've just stumbled across this group. I only recently moved into the area so I don't have any other friends with children (yet!).

I have a 8 week old DS. I currently go to Baby Massage at Apple Tree and was hoping to try out Baby Yoga today too but the lady who runs it is on holiday until September, grr!

Can anybody recommend any other groups I can attend that caters for young babies like mine? Also, are the breastfeeding groups just for those that are looking for advice or are they just general meet ups?

RalphGnu Tue 19-Jul-11 19:24:00

Just an add on, don't be put off by it being in a church hall, I don't think any of the people that attend are religious and it's not at all cliquey unlike some others that I've been to.

RalphGnu Tue 19-Jul-11 19:21:50

Hi haloflo! Just read about you going to Poulton Children's Centre; there's a baby and toddler group just round the corner on Green Street in the old Methodist Church on a Tuesday morning 10-11:30, I'm always there if you want to meet up? I have a 19 month old son called Jake. I'll be the one eating all the biscuits grin

Obviously open to everyone else too! <waves hello>

haloflo Thu 07-Jul-11 19:46:38

I hope you do get a good nights sleep though, didn't mean that to sound like I hope you are exhausted!

haloflo Thu 07-Jul-11 19:39:24

The first nap of the day is the only predictable nap. The rest of the day could bring anything.

I will pm you cyber. Just checked your profile regarding your non sleeping baby. It would nice to meet a mum whose baby doesn't sleep through the night.

cyberfairy Thu 07-Jul-11 16:23:15

Ooh busy places like that scare me-I wish Rowan had naps at certain times-he is mostly wide awake by six so by nine I am looking forward to going out! Pm me if you fancy meeting up at any time-I am free tomorrow and considering going to Preston on the train as get bored bimbling around Lancaster but it is dependent on amount of sleep I get...

haloflo Thu 07-Jul-11 13:35:58

Ahh I didn't go to sensory play this morning. Like emma it seems to always be on at Hannah's first nap time so I've actually only been once. She woke at half 9 today so could have but i'd already decided I fancied checking out cribs and crawlers at Lune Park. I will try and go sometime soon though. I'll let you know if we are going.

Cribs and crawlers was good. Very welcoming and there was toast! We got to into the sensory room there which was good too. We got soaked walking home though.

Kings community church was ok. Very busy and hard to know who to talk to but guess you have to go for a few weeks to try and make friends.

cyberfairy Thu 07-Jul-11 11:34:33

Hello, I met a friend and then went up to Williamson park even though the hill is somewhat torturous with a pram. Hope you enjoyed your play session-I was eyeballing the mums at sensory play today wondering who were the mumsnetters!

haloflo Wed 06-Jul-11 19:18:12

Sorry cyberfairy only just saw this message! What did you get up to in the end?

cyberfairy Wed 06-Jul-11 09:10:40

Was going to go off on train mission somewhere today but weather is meh-anyone want to meet up in town for coffee/cake/pint?

cyberfairy Tue 05-Jul-11 08:25:44

Hello, I also go to sensory play at Appletree! I find the Gregson pub ace for sitting and chilling with the papers-it's very child friendly and has baby/toddler/sling meets. There is a Bf group on Wednesday at Appletree but been a bit dead recently. The Whaletail veggie cafe on Penny street is also very chilled out-I have not ventured near any church meets as yet-have fun! Oh and Wallings icecream near Cockerham is rather fun-alpacas and icecream smile

haloflo Tue 05-Jul-11 08:06:40

I'm off to Kings Community Church today. Looking forward to it!

EmmaF83 Mon 04-Jul-11 21:14:42

Hiya Haloflo, Sorry its taken me a while to post back our computer died so not been able to get on line probably until now. Baby yoga sounds nice, I think I may give it ago sometime soon, shame I have just read this as meeting up and going for coffee or a walk especially in this weather would of been nic, but I think its gonna change now so i think going for a nice walk will have to wait for good weather again - but aslways room for coffee!! smile
There has been some good suggestions on here about things to do and i did wonder about the group at Kings Community Church so thankyou accidentialchickenkeeper, but thought you would have to be religious to go, so its good to know you don't have to be, so I may give it ago soon as Tuesday's I find an odd day (not much going on in Lancaster for babies)

I defintiely need to start going to more things and getting out more with little one, I think smile

haloflo Tue 28-Jun-11 16:27:38

Hi all - I can't do thursday. I am rubbish to start a thread about not having enough to do then making plans when people offer. So sorry! Typically though the HV had to rearrange and come this pm so I could have made the group today. angry

Holly farm looks brillant though. Definatly going to take DD one day.

scaredcow Thanks for directions smile

I'mn usually there by 1pm. I'll start a new thread to see if anyone else fancies it.

sacredcow Mon 27-Jun-11 21:28:49

Anyone else? Haloflo?

sacredcow Mon 27-Jun-11 21:28:03

That sounds like it could be fun. What time are you thinking?

Hi sacredcow. My days off are Tues and Thurs. This Thurs I'll be at toddlers in Garstang in the morning, then Booths in Garstang for lunch then Holly Farm in the afternoon. We could meet up at Holly Farm?

sacredcow Mon 27-Jun-11 18:44:56

Anyone around on Thurs BTW? I have a rare day off and am free with my youngest.

sacredcow Mon 27-Jun-11 18:43:41

Hi All - Surestart centre - in Rylands parks there's three buildings, the big old one, a new building with Nippers in it and a smaller building to the side called Old Mans rest. Crib to Crawlers is in the latter. I went there loads when i was on mat leave as they have some good things on. Its quick to get to if you're walking from town as you can nip across Millenium bridge then round behind the school.

haloflo Mon 27-Jun-11 17:22:24

Hi accidentalchickenkeeper I can't make tomorrow (HV at 11) but will definatly try to come next week (you sold me with the cake!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now