Lancaster & Morecambe MNers with babys - What to chat/meet?

(31 Posts)
haloflo Fri 24-Jun-11 10:04:08

Hi

I know this is a slow moving board but I hope I get a few replies. I live in Lancaster city centre and have a 3 month old DD. I'm 26 and the first amongst my friends to have a baby. I work at the council and am currently 4 months into my 10 month maternity leave.

Currently I go to Appletree Children's Centre in Lancaster and Poulton Children's Centre in Morecambe. I do yoga, massage, sensory play & I also do bounce and rhyme at the library. Although it sounds like I do alot i've found it hard to make friends at these structured groups. I would like to meet people on a more informal basis but am not sure how.

On a wednesday I go to a bf support group which I love and there are a couple of girls who I go for coffee with first. I love this day of the week and it comes and goes so quickly.

I am far too nervous to go to any baby groups at churches/halls etc plus I am not religious and don't know if this is a problem?

What do other local MNers do with their babies? What is good/less good?

We are hoping to start swimming soon at Holiday Inn but I am waiting for a phone call about new course to start.

I thought i'd start a new thread as some of the others are quite old. Hope thats ok.

RalphGnu Tue 19-Jul-11 19:24:00

Just an add on, don't be put off by it being in a church hall, I don't think any of the people that attend are religious and it's not at all cliquey unlike some others that I've been to.

MummyOfPrawn Mon 22-Aug-11 10:46:48

Hi everyone, I've just stumbled across this group. I only recently moved into the area so I don't have any other friends with children (yet!).

I have a 8 week old DS. I currently go to Baby Massage at Apple Tree and was hoping to try out Baby Yoga today too but the lady who runs it is on holiday until September, grr!

Can anybody recommend any other groups I can attend that caters for young babies like mine? Also, are the breastfeeding groups just for those that are looking for advice or are they just general meet ups?

haloflo Mon 22-Aug-11 11:50:45

Hi i've pmed you mummyofprawn The breastfeeding group in Poulton CC is both - advice and meeting up. I go every week for the social side but the lady who runs it is a bf counsellor so can give advice. She is away for the next 2 weeks so the group will probably be a bit quiet but there will still be a few of us there.

I've never been to the appletree group but believe its quiet. I could be wrong though. Clinic is straight after so could be worth getting there a bit early to see whats what if you were going to clinic anyway.

bettyboo83 Mon 29-Aug-11 15:45:09

Hello, I have a 2wo DS and am starting the think about braving the outside world and go to some groups! What would you recommend? xxx

haloflo Tue 30-Aug-11 07:53:56

Congratulations betty

Where do you live? Lancaster or Morecambe? Do you have a car?

Are you bfing? Bf support at Poulton Childrens Centre in Morecambe is a good group for chat/support. I first went there when my DD was 3 weeks old and found it really welcoming. I still go every week even though my DD is 5 mo now.

When your DS is a bit older baby massage is a good one. There is one at all the Children's Centres. They always say to wait until the baby has had its 6 week check but at Appletree I know they don't mind you going earlier - you just can't do some of the leg massages.

Clinic's are good for meeting people with babies the same age or just bumping into people you met/saw at antenatal classes.

What sort of thing do you fancy? Babymaze has all the local groups listed.

bettyboo83 Tue 30-Aug-11 15:51:19

Hi Haloflo. I live in Torrisholme so handy for any groups really and I have a car. Yes I'm breastfeeding so wanted to go to a BF group. Thanks for the link, I'll have a look what's on when. I just wanted to meet others with babies as I'm the first of my friends to have one. Thanks again, maybe see you at one of the groups x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now