searching for a local optician for my son

(7 Posts)
JoMaman Thu 17-Jul-08 19:57:18

hi, i was wondering if anybody knows of a good optician for babies/children either in SW or central london? My 6 month old son has just been prescribed some glasses and I don't have a clue where to start looking for frames. Any advice much appreciated, thanks

Blu Mon 21-Jul-08 16:19:41

We went to D&A on Streatham High Rd..oh, but 6 months? I don't know if they do babies - call a few places and ask? or ask your HV where glasses for babies come from?

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Wed 03-Sep-08 22:38:15

Only just seen this thread ....

We got our daughter's first and most recent pairs from Specsavers in Streatham. They're very helpful and quick but, frankly, I'm not impressed with the quality of the latest pair and it's probably for the best that she gets a new prescription (and NHS voucher) about every 6-12 months as I think they'll look tatty by then.

The best selection we saw of children's frames was at St Thomas' (where she got her prescription). They have dozens to choose from and most are mercifully free of Barbie and Disney and all the tie-ins they have at Specsavers.

thefortbuilder Mon 22-Sep-08 16:47:11

karen lockyer near clapham junction is good, but for babies someone recommended moorfields (i know it's not local) have a great kids and babies section.

the bendy ones for when they are toddlers are great - ds1 has nike ones that are totally flexible and have a 2 year guarantee against breaking. and you can get them with normal arms so they learn to keep them on themselves

JoMaman Tue 23-Sep-08 15:47:03

Thanks very much

JoMaman Tue 23-Sep-08 15:50:01

I forgot to say that I eventually got them from Roger Pope near Oxford St and so far its going well -they had lots of choice and we're friendly and helpful: http://www.rogerpope.co.uk/
x

redpanda Fri 26-Sep-08 11:32:22

Did you know that Roger Pope also has a branch in Dulwich Village? Maybe closer for you as you posted in the Lambeth section (although I think Dulwich is Southwark).
All the staff I have come across there are very professional and helpful. The only -ve factor for me is that they only stock designer frames - very nice ones of course! I did splurge on first pair of glasses for ds (very cool converse frames) in a bid to ensure he wore them - which has worked. Just busy crossing my fingers that he doesn't lose or break them........

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now