Primary school application - anyone know what this means?

(7 Posts)
missl1 Wed 27-Jan-16 09:47:55

Hello.
We need to apply for primary school this year so am starting to get my head around the application process. It's very complicated isn't it? :-)
On the page that talks about how offers were made last year not all the schools listed have numerical data. For some - e.g. Fenstanton and Glenbrook - it just says: all applicants received a place at the school of a higher preferred offer.
What the hell does that mean?
Anyone know?

Greydove Wed 27-Jan-16 12:35:46

It means that the school wasn't oversubscribed
ie everyone who wanted to go there got in - there was no distance cut off

missl1 Thu 28-Jan-16 10:31:00

ah ok thanks. it was the 'of a higher preferred offer' bit that confused me. surely they could leave it as 'all applicants received a place at the school'

missl1 Thu 28-Jan-16 11:13:00

just looking at this again it must mean more than all applicants got a place as for fenstanton, for example, it says they had 90 reception places and 173 applicants. can anyone explain for me?

Greydove Thu 28-Jan-16 11:51:02

Okay I have just looked at it
I think Lambeth are presenting the info in a confusing way

I think they have counted all the applications for each school - remember you can choose up to 6 schools on the form

So if you put Fenstanton as number 4 on your list but you got offered a place at your top choice number 1 school instead then you were "offered a place at a school of a higher preferred offer"

missl1 Thu 28-Jan-16 16:42:25

thanks greydove. so what they really mean is 'all applicants received a place at the school or a higher preferred offer. 'or' rather than 'of'. bloody lambeth need to proofread. one wrong letter caused me hours of confusion!

Greydove Thu 28-Jan-16 17:54:27

yes I agree it must be a typo adding to the confusion

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now