home from home birth in S London?

(5 Posts)
sundizzy Thu 21-Jan-16 20:53:33

Hello Ladies -
I am 6 weeks pregnant with first child and deciding which hospital to register with in S.London. I don't really know what's going on.. Closest ones are St George's and Kings but we could also go with St Thomas' as we're in Lambeth.
I want to give birth in a midwife led unit but from what I read they are busy and you have to wait around a lot. Can anyone from S London who's given birth recently in Kings/St George's/St Thomas' share their experiences of the wards and the care?
Thanks

missl1 Wed 27-Jan-16 09:42:34

I had both my babies (most recently October 15) in the Home from Home Birth Centre at St Thomas's and would highly recommend it. I found the midwives to be excellent and had no experience of having to wait around. I did find the 'frontline' midwives to be a bit frosty - as in don't come back until you're practically giving birth - but once you've managed to get past them and they allow you into the Home from Home it's excellent. My only concern prior was that one of the two birthing pools would not be free but there was one free on both occasions. For me water really helped with the contractions. I know three people who have had very bad experiences at Kings but that's only three people and I'm sure some have had positive experiences. The post-natal ward at St Thomas's is pretty dire though - they have very few midwives looking after a lot of people so are doing their best. However, if you imagine a ward full of crying babies and crying mums (hormone crash) all trying to get used to new motherhood it's never going to be the most relaxing experience. Second time round I was lucky to bypass it.

Greydove Wed 27-Jan-16 12:37:53

Downside of St Thomas' is the parking is very limited and expensive
St George's is easier to park at and cheaper

sundizzy Wed 27-Jan-16 18:57:47

Hello and thanks for the replies. I'm going to go with St George's as it's that much closer and the care seems good from what I've been hearing on here and elsewhere. Had a scare today and they were very supportive - all OK smile

LocalEditorLambeth Wed 27-Jan-16 20:45:17

Good luck!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now