Childminder & Nursery Recommendations Brixton SW2/Herne Hill SE24

(9 Posts)
poetscornermum Thu 08-Dec-11 11:03:40

Hi there,

I'm a new Mum looking for a childminder or nursery for my son from February/March 2012 when he will be aged 6 months (and I have to go back to work) in the Brixton SW2 or Herne Hill area. I live in Poets Corner. Any recommendations/leads would be most gratefully received. Are any of the local nurseries any good?

Thanks Molly

Dunrovin Wed 14-Dec-11 00:26:48

I would suggest sending for the Southwark Council list of registered childminders, it is better than the Lambeth list - more detailed. (But send for the Lambeth one, too). Some MN-ers have used Cherubins Nursery on Palace Rd and liked it.

There is a very good child minder in Mayall Rd but I can't remember her name, you could ask at Effra Nursery, and have you tried posting on the Urban75 Brixton Forum for childminder recommendations?

Or try SimplyChildcare here you subscribe for 3 months and can place your own ad and see all the ads placed. Have a look at the finding a childcarer search, you can see previews of all current ads, but not contact details unless you subscribe.

It's hard finding a place for a baby, nurseries are expensive and childminders can only take one child under the age of one, so places scarce. But you might find that you could afford a nanny with her own child, which is cheaper?

It gets easier and cheaper as they get older. Good luck! But you need to get going, it's hard finding childcare vacancies.

TuttoRhino Wed 14-Dec-11 18:27:59

My daughter goes to Little Angels Nursery on Gresham Road, which I've been happy with. Place looks a bit battered but the workers are very nice. She started at 12 months and is 2.5 years now.

sploj Mon 19-Dec-11 21:57:50

I found my daughter's childminder by going to the Effra childminders' drop in on a Monday - you can stay and chat to people and see if you get on with anyone. You can also know that your child will be involved at Effra with the benefit of one dedicated carer. Our first childminder was Sylina, I know most of the parents of her children and they have all been very happy, she is very caring.

DIDDIDDI Sun 29-Jan-12 18:59:03

Hi Molly,

I am moving to Poets Corner next month and have an 8 month old daughter. It is nice to know there are other young families in the area.

I am in the process of looking for a childminder/nursery/nanny share for when I return to work in April. I visited Ruskin House Nursery but I wasn't impressed and the reviews on forums haven't been great either. I also visited 2nd steps (near Loughborough Junction) and whilst I found the people really nice they had recently moved to a new building and had no outside space.

Have you found something yet? Would be great to hear your recommendations as think I am tending more towards a childminder or nanny share at this stage.

Love to hear how you got on.
Diane

hedgehopper Thu 27-Feb-14 13:13:33

Hi Molly,
What did you decide in the end re childminders/nursery? We are in Poets Corner, first child due any day and starting to think about these things.
Any advice gratefully received…
Thank you

betsyrainbow Tue 22-Apr-14 15:07:44

Hello I am moving to Poets Corner soon and would be interested to know how you got on with your search? I have an 18 month old who I need to find childcare for ASAP. Thanks for any advice/recommendations!

sarahsaz Sun 11-May-14 11:17:20

Visit them all and then go on the waiting lists of the nice ones - not really any shortcut on that and the waiting lists are fairly long...

SouthLondon1 Fri 05-Dec-14 12:08:19

Hi everyone - wanted to revive this old thread.

I'm just about to have a baby and we're starting to think about nursery registration. Any tips or recommendations much appreciated! I also live in Poets Corner

Thanks, Katie

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now