Which NCT classes for Streatham Hill mums-to-be?

(11 Posts)
LaraMi Fri 10-Jun-11 15:57:57

Hello... Wondering if anyone can help. I am currently 16 weeks pg so over the next few weeks need to get my NCT classes booked. Looking at the website, there doesn't seem to be any NCT classes actually in Streatham Hill. I wondered if anyone from Streatham Hill can advise which NCT classes they chose (which area) as it's obviously key for meet-ups after baby arrives. I live on Amesbury Ave and am due at the end of Nov. Thanks!

generalhaig Wed 15-Jun-11 00:43:27

most people either go for the classes in Furzedown (in between Streatham and Tooting) or to Clapham branch

Bear in mind that the vast majority of Clapham classes are taught by teachers who come from outside the area and so don't have local knowledge

There are a lot more classes being put on now than there used to be so don't feel the need to rush as there will be plenty of availability for autumn/winter babies

wandymum Fri 24-Jun-11 19:38:11

Hi, we did classes at Immanuel and St Andrews Church down by the big Sainsburys. There were a couple of other people in our class from the "ABC" roads, others around Furzedown and some from the roads around Streatham Common.

We didn't get a choice of where we went - the NCT just allocated us that class. I did try Clapham NCT first as classes in Balham would have been easier for me to get to but they never even bothered to call me back.

notcitrus Fri 24-Jun-11 19:48:47

I'm Streatham Common but the rest of my class in Furzedown (half at teachers house, half in church hall on Mitcham Lane) were near Streatham Hill. Not sure if that teacher is still working but she was excellent.

SparkyUK Sat 09-Jul-11 23:20:00

I lived on Amesbury Ave when I was preggers with my first and I went to the Herne Hill / Brixton Hill group. I liked the teacher, and it helped that I was booked into Kings as was everyone else, but they were all (well, except one Streathamite and one Tulse Hiller) based around Herne Hill and would meet up there every week. It was just a bit of a pain for me to get over there as I didn't drive. I ended up meeting a lovely group of mums on here who were based in Streatham and found it much easier to walk down the high street then across brockwell park to HH. I think if I had been due in the spring it would have been different as we all would have met in the park (half way) but hey ho... Anyway, I don't think it is any harder to get there than it is to Furzedown, so maybe your hospital booking may effect your decision?

Kantu Wed 20-Jul-11 12:55:44

I live on Mount Nod Road and will attend NCT classes in Brixton (Poets Corner). My sister-in-law recommended the teacher so happy to make the short trek.

Lilolee Tue 02-Aug-11 12:32:14

Personally I wouldn't bother with NCT. First time round I did the ante-natal classes at Gracefield Gardens health centre off Streatham high road and they were good and I met lots of lovely local ladies. Second time round, I found like you that there are no NCT classes for the Streatham area nor was anyone at NCT interested in helping me join/find a class/group. The nearest class for the NCT refresher class was Clapham and it was a waste of money. Teacher was not London based so travel and arranging meet ups was not straight forward, material of class was poor and socially, whilst the ladies were nice I personally think it's more valuable and practical to meet women more local to yourself and in the streatham community. That way you get to know what's going on in Steatham, you have friends nearby for an emergency shoulder or hand etc. All the best in your pregnancy.

Blu Wed 03-Aug-11 12:35:34

We went to the NCT class in Brixton / Poet's corner - but it's 10 years ago now.

I found it bvery helpful, and part of that was meeting people. Then after the birth the NCT Tea group was brilliant - I stil have friends from both groups. We were reasonably wide ranging from S London - Clapham / Oval / H Hill / Brixton and had social meet ups in Brockwell Park, Clapham Common, etc.

Once your baby is born (congratulations on your pregnancy smile) have a look at groups at the Children's centres at Streatham Wells and Hitherfield schools, also St Margarets Church.

Blu Wed 03-Aug-11 12:36:03

Oh, and the One O'Clock club in Hillside Gardens Park.

hadia Mon 22-Aug-11 15:05:13

Hi,

I'm due at the end of November and was enrolled at the NCT classes in Brixton/Streatham/Dulwich - but they don't have enough people so have swapped to join the NCT in Wandsworth and Wimbledon. I was a little gutted as i wanted to do something local but we live on the borders of Lambeth, Croydon and Wandsworth so it's not too bad.

I'm a first time mum-to-be and would love to make some new mum friends as this is all very brand new and a tad scary (and exciting of course!)

Hxx

KTB2011 Mon 05-Sep-11 20:42:00

I live in Streatham Hill and signed up for the Balham/Clapham South classes, as that is where I tend to do my shopping, coffees etc.

I agree with the person who said the NCT people are not overly helpful in helping you find the best classes for your circumstances, but I put that down to booking late - I am 31 weeks and only booked my classes a couple of weeks ago...

First class is on the 17th Sept - so we will see how that goes...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now