good private or state schools in the area.

(10 Posts)
maha Wed 16-Jul-08 14:43:54

We are looking at both private and state options in the area. which would you recomend. as the schools have closed for the summer i cant view any at the moment

jura Fri 18-Jul-08 22:19:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

aznerak Fri 18-Jul-08 22:30:56

It makes a HUGE difference where you live. Whereabouts in Kingston are you looking?

jjhamil Mon 21-Jul-08 21:55:48

Hello

Sorry to butt in but we we are considering moving to North Kingston from North London. Can you let me know which are the best primary schools? I have heard they are great but also that they are hugely oversubscribed and you have to live in a very small catchment area to get in.

Obviously if we can't get into them for our son, it will influence whether or not we move, so any help is hugely appreciated.

Thanks

aznerak Tue 22-Jul-08 21:53:56

Hi there

We live in North Kingston and it is true, the primary schools here are amazing and seriously oversubscribed.

There are a few schools, but the main North Kingston schools are Latchmere and Fern Hill. Both are superb and we were fortunate to get offered a place at both but we just adored Latchmere. It feels much more welcoming and friendly despite being a bigger school.

Basically, our little one starts nursery this Sept and there is a 52 child intake and 48 are siblings..........

To give you an idea, we live 400m from the school and our neighbour (with no siblings) is no 25 on the waiting list for nursery!

She will however get into the reception classes next September as it is a 3 form entry school. But that is about it. To get in, you need to live within 500m max.

What else would you like to know?

MadamePlatypus Tue 07-Oct-08 17:15:41

Re: state options, its not so much which are recommended, but which you can get in to. I am very happy with DS's primary school, which is great because it was the only school that would have given him a place. If we had lived 100 metres further away, he would have been in a no man's land where you either go to a church school or whichever school in the borough has spare places once everybody else has been allocated a place. There is a patch where parents will have the choice between Fern Hill and Latchmere, but most parents have the choice of the closest school, or a church school if they go to church.

Re: private schools, there are alot of private schools near Kingston, but some will already have allocated their places for next September.

EyeballsintheSky Tue 07-Oct-08 17:21:53

Jura, just out of interest, what are those two schools? I grew up in Raynes Park and New Malden, still live quite near.

<nosey>

jura Tue 07-Oct-08 17:29:18

EyeballsintheSky Tue 07-Oct-08 17:33:47

LOL, I went to Sacred Heart down the road and we hated Bushey That was back in the dark ages though and no reflection of the type of school btw. I was 7!

CATed btw

jura Tue 07-Oct-08 18:36:20

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now