New(ish) to Walton on Thames - looking for coffee break chats & visits to park buddies

(58 Posts)
AliQueenie Mon 18-Feb-08 12:44:18

Hello - we moved to Walton last August when my smiley 6month old son was just 1 week old!We would love to meet other mums with similar aged children for coffee and trips to the park, local playgroups etc!

pen2101 Sat 07-Jun-08 13:42:16

Hi there,
i live in West Byfleet not too far and would love to meet up
I have almost 18 month old twins ..... Jack & Olivia
Take care
Pennyxx

AliQueenie Fri 13-Jun-08 14:22:09

Thanks Penny - I was beginning to think I was the only one here! Would love to meet up - Weds no good but all other days a possibility - when/where is good for you?
Have a great weekend
Alison
xx

Amanda78 Sat 14-Jun-08 14:19:00

Hi Aliqueenie,

I live in East Molesey which is not too far from you. I have DD 20 months and one on the way! Would love to meet other mums too so let me know what suits you! I do work full time but Mon and Fri afternoons are good for me and of course the weekends.
Hope to hear from you soon.

AliQueenie Sat 28-Jun-08 17:46:19

Hi Amanda78 (&pen2101 if you are there too?)
Mon afternoons good for me if you want to meet - my babe (now 10 months) needs to eat at 4.30-5.30 but could bring food along if you need to meet late pm? Where is good for you?
Alisonxx

Amanda78 Sat 28-Jun-08 23:13:42

Hi Aliqueenie,

As said normally Mon pm's good for me but next 2 weeks are a bit hectic! Can do Friday 4th(pm)or anytime over weekend of 5/6th if you are free? Don't mind coming to Walton if that is easier. Do you fancy meeting for coffee or heading someone a little more kiddie friendly? I'm easy either way.

CilC Tue 01-Jul-08 07:32:34

Hi Ali - live in East Molesey and now on Maternity Leave. Just joined MN and have now just located this local group. Looking for local Mums to go walking/coffee with. Also any advice on playgroups for LO as I am due in 2 weeks. Plan on being at home for while this time, but not sure what we will do!?
My DD is 3 and she is at Nursery on Tues, Wed and Thurs.
Happy to meet up for coffee - Walton has plenty of places to choose from now!

Amanda78 Tue 01-Jul-08 20:12:29

Hi CilC,

Nice to see more people joining the local thread. As you have prob read I am also pregnant at moment but not due until Nov! Am ready for my maternity leave though! Do know of some playgroups in the area and plan to start accessing them myself once number 2 comes along!! Do you fancy meeting up sometime? I can share with you the ones I know in Thames Ditton.

CilC Tue 01-Jul-08 20:55:37

Sounds good. I really have no idea what is around and as second child you do not have all the First time Mum groups to join to find out all this info!

I joined the refresher NCT group but only 3 Mums! They ahve a few ideas but they also all returned to work!

I am free Friday 4th pm. I will have my DD who is 3. Are you a member of National Trust as Claremont Park in Esher have just opened up a great playground. If not a coffee is great, Bridge Street? Though I am boycotting Mada deli. They dropped a boiling coffee over me and DD...long story but they were very rude!

Amanda78 Tue 01-Jul-08 21:18:21

Hi CilC,

I too have joined NCT refresher to start in Sept, will be packing in work from end of Oct but only for 7 months I'm afraid - then its back to expensive childcare for 2 children! It's almost not worth working!

Really sorry but this Friday is no good for me. Normally it woruld be as Fri PM I don't usually work but I have a report due on Monday so putting all the hours in that I can.

Can do some time over weekend (Sun?) if you are free otheriwse the following Friday afternoon? Not a member of NT I'm afraid, depending on weather we could do walk in Bushey park or a coffee in Bridge St sounds great. Mada Deli def a no no then!

CilC Tue 01-Jul-08 22:10:43

OK let's tentatively book Friday pm 11th. I am due the 14th so can only really pencil things in at this stage.
I hope your NCT group has more people in it than mine. Would love to go back to work! What nursery do you use for DS? I used to use Asquith in Teddington. The local Montessori start from 2 only. The staff (not necessarily the owner) are great but food and equipment very average. Better as a drop in nursery, would not be happy letting DD be there full time. I have heard that a nursery may be happening at the Pavillion gym.
Mada Deli, long story really, suffice to say I really can not allow myself to go back... for while at least! Blisters, hospitals etc were involved and they still wanted us to pay for for the food/drink we could not eat as we had to leave because a member of their staff burnt us. In hormonal state I lost it with them! Frankly I made a scene and now can't face going back. blush But 5 at the bridge do ok coffee!

Amanda78 Tue 01-Jul-08 22:27:53

Hiya,

I use Aston Pierpoint nursery in Hampton. Currently my DD goes 3 days. She started in Jan so was only 15 months at the time so my choice of nursery was limited! Nurseries around this area tend to start from 2 yrs which is a shame! I really like Aston though, it's on my way to work, set in a lovely big victorian house which gives it a homely feel! Would reccommend it. Also looked at Asquith at both Tedd and Kingston - again really liked them, Tedd has great Ofsted report and is very over subscribed. Very expensive though I thought, but that's big chains for you!

Well so far I hear my course has 5 out of a possible 6. Held in Esher but all others are Molesey mums too, so I am hopeful!

Haven't heard about Pavillion gym nursery but think I may be going down Childminder route anyhow, think more suitable for 7 month old!

The cheek of Mada Deli! Still having to pay! Think you are well within your rights to boycott!

So where in Molesey are you? What schools are you considering for DD?

CilC Wed 02-Jul-08 12:54:43

HI there

Thanks for that. Asquith in Teddington was quite expensive but my DD loved it. I only moved her so she would be more local and make local friends. I could not fault it.
DD starts school (even though only 3) this September!!! She is 4 in August and will be going to the Orchard. I also have her booked at Notre Dame in Cobham - we were supposed to have moved by now but with housing crash that is all up in the air. Having said that I am very happy with the Orchard (from what I have been told) but not quite so impressed with the next choices - St Lawrences ? So will keep her name down at Notre Dame.

We live near the Tesco on Walton Road - not the big one near Hurst Park.

I feel abit sad about my NCT classes - basically joined to meet people. Went to them in Richmond and they were great - still great friends with most of the girls. Had hoped to do the same again, but there are only 3 of us and the other 2 live in Claygate and have known each other since uni. Oh well...

Amanda78 Wed 02-Jul-08 13:08:53

Hi CilC,

Wow she is starting school so soon! Lucky you! My dd was born in October which means she won't actually start until Sept 2011, a month before she is 5!

We are hoping for St Pauls in Thames Ditton. I live on the Molesey / Thames Ditton border off ember lane so very local to me.

I have heard great things about the Orchard and have met people who have not gotten in! Some of the kids on my road now go to St Lawrence's and seem very happy there. Is Notre Dame a private school, I have heard of it. I take it you were planning to move to Cobham then? This market really has taken it's toll.

I know what you mean about NCT classes, its a shame it couldn't have been a little more social but of course I can introduce you to anybody I meet later this year esp with them being Molesey mums! Fingers crossed!

CilC Wed 02-Jul-08 18:50:51

St Pauls was our second choice but we got Orchard which is literally just up the road. Not really planning a move to Cobham, just want something bigger and just was not happy with local schools for when DD a bit older.

Glad to hear that feedback about St Lawrences - my old neighbour really complained about it. Had me a bit concerned.

DD's little friend lives very near to where you have described you live and got into St Pauls so you should have no problems. I actually taught there many moons ago in my previous life as a teacher and it was lovely!

Amanda78 Wed 02-Jul-08 20:20:27

I know what you mean about the Orchard! It's such a lovely little school it's a shame it only takes them to 7(?). I have generally heard very good things about St Lawrence's though from mum's on my road but guess you will only make your mind up once DD starts school and you get to talk to other parents etc.

Anyway how are you feeling, fed up of pregnancy or has time flown for you?

CilC Thu 03-Jul-08 21:45:24

Soooo fed up with pregnancy. Have SPD and can hardly walk. It has been a long 9 months!

Amanda78 Thu 03-Jul-08 22:42:08

Hiya,

Sorry to hear that but you are so close now!

Will be about tomorrow afternoon now if you fancy meeting up for an hour or so!? Report on hold for another week! I normally take DD to Jumping Jacks in Hersham, you prob know it (soft play area in Esher Rugby Club, bouncy castle etc) if you are about. Short notice I know - but let me know if it suits! Normally go around 2ish!

CilC Fri 04-Jul-08 07:35:33

Oh shame - I made an osteopath appointment for this afternoon. DH coming home early to take me there and then we thought we might all go out for dinner somewhere (before LO arives!).

I have never actually been there - have heard of it though. Have good friend in Weybridge and we regularly go to the one in Shepperton.

Definitely next time!

Amanda78 Fri 04-Jul-08 20:03:18

Hiya,

No worries, worth a try today! I too go to Playtime in Shepperton quite alot. DD loves it. Jacks is far less equipped but can sometimes be better esp for the age of my dd as no big ones! Sometimes I can even manage to sit down and let her rome about!
Luxury!

Hope you enjoyed your meal this evening.

CilC Wed 09-Jul-08 00:34:37

Hi Amanda

Are you still on for Friday? I have SPD (pelvis issues related to pregnancy) and they have gotten worse so can not do walking. Meant to stay in bed, but tell me how do you do that with a 3 year old!
Anyway let me know if still ok and we can organise a place that involves no walking. Sorry to be dull!
Should all be sorted once LO pops out next week!

Amanda78 Wed 09-Jul-08 20:38:58

Hiya,

Yeah still on, have been talking to another lady STAR6 and was thinking of inviting her along too. Haven't met before either. Is that OK with you?

Sorry you are not feeling great. So where shall we go?

CilC Wed 09-Jul-08 21:09:02

Sounds great! Is she local? My DD is very good (touch wood) in cafes/restaurants but I realise your DD is younger. Any place is fine - indoor play etc. as long as I can park out the front.
Sorry to be a pain, but I just can not walk more than a few steps. It goes away as soon as the LO is out!

Amanda78 Thu 10-Jul-08 09:59:12

Hiya,

Well I think she is moving to Surbiton soon and is pregnant with her 1st. I'll e-mail her to invite her along and let you know if she confirms!

What is cafe au play like at Kingston Rotunda. Have you been there? I have heard it's great for kids while trying to grab some lunch etc! Would there be any parking close by that you could use?

Thought this might be good for Star6 too without a little one as yet!

Was thinking of meeting at 2.30?

CilC Thu 10-Jul-08 12:37:01

Funny you ask about that, I was just telling someone how awful it had got (used to be great) and they told me it had begun to improve again! So bot sure. But yes good central location.

Just to warn you I have just started having some contractions, may be false alarm, but DH is on the way home to take me in. So please go ahead and organise and if I am not there I am sure you all understand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now