New to the area

(14 Posts)
Lohmeie Tue 12-Jun-07 22:17:38

Hi

We are about to move to north Kingston and I would love to hear what facilities (play grounds; music groups; gymnastics; playbarns etc) there are in the local area.

I have two boys aged 1 and 3 - if anyone has any "induction" information/ideas we'd love to hear from you.

Many thanks

E

ComeOVeneer Wed 13-Jun-07 18:39:10

Join the West London group. We meet regularly and have an evening meet once a month. I am just down the road in Thames Ditton.

Lohmeie Thu 14-Jun-07 09:59:22

Thanks - I'm probably being very stupid but West London Group of. . . ?

ComeOVeneer Thu 14-Jun-07 11:04:32

Look under the topic "meet-ups" there is always a West London thread going. Just hop in and introduce yourself

stars2love Thu 14-Jun-07 17:26:30

Hi Lohmeie

Latchemere playgroup is said to be quite good. And so many Mums meet at Canbury Arms as it has a section that is really child friendly.

There are the usual pay per term groups like jo jingles etc which many are held at Kingfisher Leisure Centre - you could always look them up on the web.

I quite like the play ground outside Kingfisher LC - Fairfield Green.

Good luck with the move!

Lohmeie Thu 14-Jun-07 17:42:04

Thanks so much - so excited! I'm also after a good nursery for the boys. I know there is Asquith, Dolphin and 197 within walking distance - has anyone heard or them? Any recommendations?

Lohmeie

sunshinestar Mon 02-Jul-07 16:49:55

Hello,

I am new to this chat page. Mother of two boys, youngest being Victor (5 month).

Does anyone know if there is a babybank (i.e. where mothers can help others babysit and in return someday, the favour is returned)service in our area??

Cheers,
sss

GeorgeEl Thu 05-Jul-07 21:10:38

Hi Lohmeie. I'm in North Kingston with a 3 year old boy and 9 month year old girl. It's a brilliant area - the playgrounds in the parks are lovely - Petersham entrance and Bushy Park. My son went to 197 for a while and it was friendly but very chaotic. I didn't have much to compare it to - I liked the laid back atmosphere but in retrospect it was all too laid back. I looked round them all and thought Asquith was probably good, especially for older kids. My son goes to Kingston Vale Montessori which I can't recommend highly enough - they do only take them from 2. Hope that helps ish!

GloriaMumble Fri 06-Jul-07 12:13:19

I looked at all the nurseries you've listed and have plumped for 197... now I'm nervous having seen your comments GeorgeEl. Asquith in Kingston baby room was, imo, dirty and had a row of made up bottles sitting on the windowsill in full sunshine to "cool" though Asquith looked really good for older ones. Quite liked the look of Dolphin but they've had serious management issues in the last year or so - fully acknowledged by the new team who showed me round - I would prefer not to put DD there while they sort it out.

What were your issues with 197 GeorgeEl (was planning to pay deposit tomorrow, DD hasn't started yet).

Lohmeie Fri 06-Jul-07 13:58:44

Hiya

Like you my short list was Dolphin and 197 - but Dolphin issues that you mentioned and they acknowledged and Ofsted report have ended up putting me off. Also explored childminder but as I'm freelance I don't really need that amount of flexibility.

So I'm going for the slightly more chaotic 197 too. It may well be that I managed to get my eldest into a pre-school (or Montesorri) for a bit more structure - although think there will be plenty of time for that when he starts school!

Asquith was very chaotic in the 3 year old rooms when i looked around - quite a few tired/crying children (however, it was just after lunch!).

BUT - before I too send the cheque off Georgel - was your little boy happy at 197?

LyraB Mon 09-Jul-07 21:06:08

Hi, I have two sons aged 4 and 3 and have had them in Dolphin and Asquith at various points. I would highly recommend Dolphin, but DS2 was very happy at Asquith (which he attended from Feb to April this year while i wprked temporarily).
Well done on choosing a great area to bring up your children. We've been in north kingston for 3 years and we love it.

fraise Wed 11-Jul-07 16:54:37

Hello everyone
I'm new. I have a 6 month old son and live in New Malden. What would you recommend me to do with him (playgroups...) but where???
Thanks

mummypig Fri 13-Jul-07 20:20:27

Hi fraise lots of playgroups/ parent and toddler groups shut over the summer but there is 'Coffee in the Park' in Dickerage Lane Adventure Playground two mornings a week from April to September. When I used to take my sons (a couple of years ago now) they usually had a bouncy castle up and lots of toys for the toddlers to play with. But more importantly, the other mums were usually pretty friendly, especially those who organised it. So even if your six month old isn't doing very much yet, it's a good way to get outside and meet other people in the area.

I'm sorry but I don't know the times at the moment, but if you call up the Kingston Early Years Information Service (or whatever they call themselves at the moment) they can send you a brochure of activities over the summer. Most are for 5yo upwards but there is an advert for Dickerage Lane there. Or you could just pop over one morning and see if there is anyone around.

mummypig Fri 13-Jul-07 20:21:50

sunshine star I believe the Kingston NCT has a babysitting group for NCT members.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now