Living in Berrylands, surbiton

(6 Posts)
Laurakirsty79 Mon 06-Feb-17 17:13:18

Hi
I just wondered if anyone could advise on living in the area of Berrylands in Surbiton? We have seen a house on surbiton hill park and it's gorgeous with a massive south facing garden. I've tried to google general thoughts on the area and have come up with stuff from 2011 where some people say it's called 'smellylands' due to the sewage works and it's very stinky in the summer and others say it's fine and you don't really notice it.
Can anyone shed some more light on this issue?
Many thanks!

HarderToKidnap Mon 06-Feb-17 17:50:48

Hi there.... I live in BErrylands, and also work round here so know it really well. I absolutely love living here..... but to answer your specific question, yes the sewage works can absolutely stink at times. There are roads I wouldn't live on because of the smell.... at the other end of BErrylands you have to be careful about the noise of the Athree. This keyboard won't let me type the number three! Sorry.

In terms of Surbiton hill park, the end nearest the works does often smell. If the house you are looking at is the Jones built five bed detached, then I would say that is far enough down to be absolutely fine. I've never noticed it past the maisonettes at the top of the road. ANything the Surbiton end past the junction with The Ridge is fine (IMO),

Let me know if I can be of any more help x

Semiski Mon 06-Feb-17 18:11:19

I used to visit a friend in Berrylands when we both had toddlers. It took me a while on the first visit to twig that my friends toddler hadn't got a dirty nappy that needed to be changed. The smell was coming from the sewage works, not my friends toddler.

I think you get used to the smell as my friend couldn't smell it. But yes anecdotally it's known as Smellylands if you're near the sewage works.

Laurakirsty79 Mon 06-Feb-17 21:01:46

Thank you so much for your comments. The house we are looking at is between The Royston's and Chiltern Drive, so just before the roundabout with the pub on it. I guess that is going to be a smelly area.☹️
Maybe we just need to keep an eye out for other houses that come on the market that are set further back and more in the middle part.
Out of interest HarderToKidnap, as a local, what is the pub like and Green Lane recreation ground? I have a one year old and the schools all seem good, but we haven't explored the park yet.
Many thanks again for your comments.

HarderToKidnap Mon 06-Feb-17 23:10:21

Yes I'm afraid it will really smell there. It's not every day though, just occasionally.... generally when it's hot, but it STANK late last week for some reason. Lots of people do live with it.

The Berry is very old fashioned, definitely no gastropub! But really friendly, decent food, a proper local. Not rough at all, no trouble.

Green Lane is fine, it's a big field with a quite nice playpark in the middle. The trains go right next to the play park which the kids love. No problems there.

Alexandra Park is walkable from most of BErrylands and also has a nice play area. Best in Surbiton though is Victoria Park which is a short drive. Had a lovely cafe in the middle owned by the same people who own the French Table and a massive play area and sandpit.

SachinR Thu 07-Dec-17 22:23:57

Hi, I am looking at some properties near Greenfield Avenue. Please can you guys suggest whether this area also suffers with this smell issue or not?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now