Nursery

(67 Posts)
heroicsavage Wed 10-Sep-08 11:01:51

Hi,
I am moving back to Medway shortly and am in need of a good Nursery.
I will be living either in Rochester or High Halstow so Strood, Rochester, Hoo or High Halstow would be ideal.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

RGPargy Wed 10-Sep-08 12:50:49

Hi Heroicsavage

I went to look a lovely nursery located actually inside Thomas Aveling school grounds in Rochester (Arethusa Road). They seemed really nice in there and i was very impressed with it. All the kids seemed very happy to be there.

The only reason i didnt take DD there in the end was because (a) they didn't open early enough and (b) MIL said she could look after DD. No contest really!

Hope you find something soon.

Where are you moving back from?

heroicsavage Wed 10-Sep-08 13:09:46

Thanks RGP I will look into that one. Do you know what time they open and close?

I am moving from Ipswich. Thought I would head back to Medway as that is where a lot of my friends and family are and feel quite isolated here.

So are you in Rochester?

RGPargy Wed 10-Sep-08 13:41:23

I'm not 100% sure but i dont think it opened til 8.30, which is useless for me as i have to catch a train before then for work!

I used to live in Rochester, but moved to near Toys R Us just over a year ago now. Still like to think of myself as semi-Rochester tho lol wink

Here's the details of that nursery:

Kloisters Kindergarten
Arethusa Road, ROCHESTER, ME1 2UR

01634 880298

Have you decided on a location to live?

RGPargy Wed 10-Sep-08 13:41:55

Oh and I think they close around 6pm hmm

heroicsavage Wed 10-Sep-08 15:41:48

Wow thanks for that, it will save me a lot of time.
Will more than likely be out at High Halstow as I may have somewhere lined up already and my Mum lives there (free babysitting) but if it falls through I will be looking in Rochester.

I am quite looking forward to visiting all my old haunts.

We did look at up near you, it seemslike quite a nice area there.

RGPargy Wed 10-Sep-08 16:47:19

No worries.

Free babysitting is always handy, hence why DD goes to MIL when i go to work!

I was a bit unsure about coming up to this area but in all honesty, it's really an ok place to live! It's lethal living 5 minutes walking distance from Toys R Us tho. Really lethal!!

Are you going to be working locally? Would a nursery in High Halstow not suit you better?

Sorry for being nosey!

Aero Wed 10-Sep-08 16:57:24

Nice and close to Asda RG! You're not far from me. I'm at the bottom of the hill!

As for nurseries, there are also a few local to Rochester. There's the One o Six on Maidstone Road (Chatham one) and also another one at the Rochester end of City Way. I've heard good reports about the One o Six often, although have not used either nursery myself.

There's also the Jigsaw one near Dockside. Expensive I believe!

RGPargy Wed 10-Sep-08 17:06:10

Yeah, very close to Asda - something else that's lethal to my bank balance! haha! We must be a stone's throw away from each other. Small world, eh?!

Talking of the City Way nursery, i used to take DS there about 15 years ago. He seemed to enjoy it there, even if they did have a compulsory nap/rest time! When i had a look around Kloisters they told me that they STILL do that and they didn't rate the place very much. Not sure if that's just business rivalry or what. I was meant to go and have a look around the One O Six nursery too but i forgot about my appointment and never went in the end! blush

Aero Wed 10-Sep-08 17:29:06

One day we'll pass each other and not know it! lol I've noticed you on the local freecycle (unless there's another RGP). smile

heroicsavage Wed 10-Sep-08 17:38:11

Hi Aero

I have a couple of interviews lined up that will be based in Rochester/ Chatham so I could drop off ds on the way in.
I always swore I would never come back to Medway but recent events have taught me that it is important to have my friends and family nearer to me. I know Medway pretty well having lived there from 8 years old to 24. I have never really settled in Ipswich.

I am looking into a nursery in Hoo that I have heard is quite good.

Have either of you met anyone else off here in Medway?

Aero Wed 10-Sep-08 23:12:32

Lol - we haven't even met each other! Can't speak for RG though, but my good friend Cadbury posts here too.

RGPargy Wed 10-Sep-08 23:50:11

Aero - Yeah i'm on freecycle. Honestly, some of the rubbish people try and give away sometimes lol. I remember one lady was trying to give away a rug and the ad was something like "large rug, will need a good clean as it's been down for years and is covered in dog hair.". Niiiiiiice hmm wink

HS - good luck with the interviews!! Been in medway all my life too. In fact i was born in Hoo!

I've met a couple of the girls from the local MN board but unfortunately due to half term (or they may just not like me!) etc we've not managed to meet up since. Hopefully we'll all get together again soon.

Perhaps we should arrange something soonish as i'm off work for two weeks from next week.

heroicsavage Thu 11-Sep-08 08:27:47

I would be up for a meet up.

I may even know you in RL RGP now there is a scary thought!

I have first interview tomorrow morning, am a little nervous as I am going for a cmplete career change. Have done lots of prep tho so hopefully I will do OK.

Thanks for all you help.

RGPargy Thu 11-Sep-08 12:46:42

Haha!! How funny would that be! You're a bit younger than me tho so we deffo wouldn't have gone to school together or anything lol.

How did the interview go and what is it for? Lucky you, doing a career change! That's exactly what i've wanted to do for the past god knows how many years but unfortunately the money is in London, where i am destined to work for eternity, as i am now a slave to the wage lol.

RubyRioja Thu 11-Sep-08 12:55:02

Yoo hoo Medway girls!

Couldn't resist diving in. Welcome back to the wildside grin. Seriously I think it is or can be a great place to live - mainly becuase you can access so much here.

I don't want to be negative about nurseries mentioned - so much is hearsay isn't it - but 1-0-6 gave my friends daughter pork sausage which was a bit of an issue as she is an observant moslem and was always vegetarian at nursery. It always made me wonder if they were strict enough about allergies etc.

Sorry.

Otherwise, I am up for a meet up Argy - I even have some child-free moments now!

RubyRioja Thu 11-Sep-08 12:56:23

I did use the Jigsaw nursery a few years ago - now Leapfrog I think and it was nice but £££££££££££££££

RGPargy Thu 11-Sep-08 13:05:20

Hello Ruby! <waves>

That's a bit bad about 1-0-6 isn't it! Pretty poor management really, especially for something so important as that and as you say, who knows what could happen re allergies! shock

Great, another one to add to the meet up list. Shall i open another thread to arrange the meet or shall we just continue to crash on this one?

RubyRioja Thu 11-Sep-08 13:06:47

Ill crash anywhere me!

RGPargy Thu 11-Sep-08 13:36:35

haha me too. I'm not fussed.

heroicsavage Thu 11-Sep-08 14:08:34

RGP The interview is tomorrow and is working as a mentor/ support worker. It has aways been something I have wanted to do but never had the guts to follow it up before now.
No wouldn't have gone to school together, but my Mum and Dad were quite involved in the community in Hoo and Highhalstow.

Hi RR Thanks for the tip on 1-0-6. Yes I think Medway is really well situated. There is quite a lot going on there as well. Not as far to London either and would love to start going there again.

I will go where I'm told as far as meet up thread goes. I am going to be popping to Medway quite a lot over the next couple of months so can probably do whenever to suit everyone else.

RGPargy Thu 11-Sep-08 14:33:39

HS - sorry, i didn't bother reading the time you posted and assumed you'd posted it last night. <sloppy RG> Good luck for tomoz!

I was born in Pankhurst Road in Hoo but we moved to Strood when i was 9 years old. I would LOVE to go and see inside the old house again one day, just to see if it's the same as i remember. I have such great memories of living there and riding up and down Pankhurst on my little red bike (called Red Devil). <sigh> Ahhh, those were the days!

I'm happy to meet up whenever.

Cadbury Thu 11-Sep-08 14:48:27

Ahem

<<tentatively pokes head round corner>>

I'm just across the valley from you RGP. You can probably see my house from yours! shock

I'd be interested in meeting up sometime. I'am also a freecycler.

Heroicsavage - I hope the interview went well. Welcome back to Medway.

I also heard giid things about the 106 on Maidstone road but it was probably from the same person that Aero heard it from!

I can tell you about good preschools but I guess it's nurseries you need.

Try calling the Medway council Childrens Information Service. They can give you a list of nurseries in your area. www.medway.gov.uk/index/learning/schoolsandearlyyears/childcare/familyinformationservice.htm

RGPargy Thu 11-Sep-08 14:55:05

Hi Cadbury!

I'm a stone's throw from the Tiger Moth and the shops - are you near?

The more the merrier for a meet up! How exciting!

heroicsavage Thu 11-Sep-08 14:57:16

Thank you. Really hope I get it.
I may not have internet access for the next few days but will check in when I do and see what dates everyone wants to meet. Are we looking at the next couple of weeks?

My parents lived along Ratcliff Highway before the new (about ten years old now!) bypass was built. I remember playing in the fields and having massive water fights with my Dad in the oil seed rape (the yellow stuff that grows in the fields). All good memories.

Have a great weekend all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now