Anyone VERY familiar with Tonbridge?

(17 Posts)
user1494757343 Sat 29-Jul-17 18:51:51

We've seen a lovely house in Higham lane area a few months ago. Decided not to go for it as the third bedroom is a bit too small. When we told the agent, he said "may I ask the reason? Is it the area?" I said no and just gave our reason.

Another agent sent me an email today about a property that's coming into the market in the area. We really like it and we've asked for a viewing. The other agents comment keeps worrying me. What's wrong with higham lane area? Is there something about the area that puts off buyers?

Stoprightnowplease Sat 29-Jul-17 18:55:55

I live in Tonbridge, Higham lane is fine, it's not considered one of the nicer roads though.

user1494757343 Sun 30-Jul-17 08:17:41

Thank you. Is that because of crime or something? Is there a lot of social housing around there? I'm just trying to understand why it's not considered a nice area.

We are considering it only because it's near a great school (woodlands)

Lobsterquadrille2 Sun 30-Jul-17 08:39:03

Hi OP, I live in Tunbridge Wells but have family in Tonbridge. I don't know Woodlands (niece and nephew went to St Margaret Clitherow which was great). From memory from last year, there are various areas around Higham Lane which the council are considering for building on - lots of new housing etc. As far as I'm aware nothing has been decided yet but it could mean people are selling up in anticipation (this is speculation on my part). It's not one of the "nicer" areas of Tonbridge but certainly not known for crime, again as far as I'm aware.

user1494757343 Sun 30-Jul-17 14:18:53

Thank you lobsterquadrille2

Which areas are nice ? I know two roads Yardley park road and The ridgeway. We can't afford both!

cheesypastatonight Sun 30-Jul-17 16:51:39

The two you mention are very expensive. I used to live there. There are lots of roads around woodlands that are more affordable. There is planning for a special school to move to Higham lane which some people are getting their knickers in a twist about. Higham lane itself and surrounding area is absolutely fine. On a good bus route, a parade of shops and doctors.

whereismyparachute Sun 30-Jul-17 23:06:04

I wouldn't want to live near woodlands school tbh.

Yardley park road, Bickmore way, ridgeway, the Haydens are all nice and the roads off them.

user1494757343 Sun 30-Jul-17 23:18:29

@Cheesy pasta : Ridgeview school? I thought they moved to a site near Judd school ?

@whereismyparachute : we can't afford those roads. Why would you not want to live near woodlands school? Do you find the area rough?

whereismyparachute Sun 30-Jul-17 23:30:27

user1494757343, I am quite conscious of not offending people but my friend lives there and there seems to be a few issues with anti social behaviour.

whereismyparachute Sun 30-Jul-17 23:40:20

P.S I have lived in various places in Tonbridge, also TWells, Bidborough and Southborough if any good to you.

Lobsterquadrille2 Mon 31-Jul-17 07:24:14

Hi OP, most of the people I know in Tonbridge live nearer to the station and off the main road where it's very residential: Woodfield Road, Woodside Road, Lavender Hill for example. I am not sure how house prices in this area compare with the roads you've been looking at - but they are quiet with a good sense of community.

user1494757343 Mon 31-Jul-17 08:12:21

Thank you (everyone). We don't know the area at all. I've gathered some info from the internet, but info from local people is anyway more valuable!
If there is anything you'd like to tell me but can't post here, pls can you send me a private message?

maresedotes Mon 31-Jul-17 11:53:14

I've sent you a PM.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 17-Aug-17 23:47:34

I live higham lane area and have for 19yrs and never had a problem

Yes it's ex council tho a few are still council but many are owned privately

Woodlands school has an excellent ofsted report and a very popular school

Martin hardy way has coop (where gary manager will do anything for you) hairdressers macalls chinese fish and chips chemist. Dry cleaners post office

Personally I think long mead is a 'worse' estate then where I live or other end of town and hectorage road

Tho Obv people living there wouldn't say that

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 17-Aug-17 23:49:47

Parking is a biggie as well. Higham lane area you will be able to park. Many have drives or can park on road

Woodside lavender hill - very unlikely to get a space outside your home , if at all

Think also permit as near station

smackbangwhollop Sat 09-Sep-17 13:53:57

@user1494757343 I've lived in Tonbridge 10 years if that helps. You're more than welcome to p.m me.

Fresia99 Sat 07-Oct-17 17:27:34

Hi everybody, I need your help as my family and I are thinking relocating to Tonbridge or nearby area and I was wondering if you could tell me more about the area.
We have a child in primary school so we need a place which is safe, with a good primary school (possibly outstanding in Ofsted) and secondary schools (not Grammar necessarily as it’s early to say if my child would pass the 11+) activities to do for children (sports etc), things to do with kids and for us at the weekend, local markets, local events, and good train links to London as my H and I work there.

I have done some research on Tonbridge and we visited the town a couple of times already, we liked it enough but I guess before we can consider relocating there I would need more info from local people/mums who live there already.

School - In Tonbridge I looked at the Slade primary school as it’s outstanding in the Ofsted report and also has a Breakfast club and After school club provision which is what I am looking as my H and I work in London.
Can anyone tell me more about the school?

Train - is the train line good? Can you always get a seat on the peak hour trains to London?

Properties - which areas do we need to avoid? Any particular road? Ideally we need to be near the station or the Slade Primary school as we would want to add the expense to park the car at the station, however we don’t have a premium budget to play with.

We could move anywhere in the Tonbridge area but we would like to be in a town not a village and choosing a primary with child care provision is a must, this restricts a lot the areas we could relocate to as I found that not many school has this provision.

I hope you can help and I look forward to your kind suggestions and tips.

Thank you
Best wishes
Fresia99

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now