Edenbridge to London Commute...is it awful?!

(3 Posts)
Millie248 Thu 07-Jan-16 14:22:55

Hi,

I'm hoping someone might be able to help. DH and I are planning on moving out of London for some more space and a bit more 'green' - we aren't too hung up on where, but the commute needs to be reasonable for DH to get to work in London (into London Bridge, or ideally Farringdon but LB is fine) I work from home so it's important to me that the house is right, and in a town or village we are happy with.

We have just seen the most amazing house in Edenbridge but DH is very concerned about the commute. His research has been that it is terrible, trains are always late and cancelled. Do any of you know what this journey is like and how reliable the trains are? He's not fussed about getting a seat, and is well used to over-crowding as he has to get the Northern Line from Clapham Common right now, but we need to know that he will be able to get to work and not have trains cancelled every other day.

DH tends to be slightly pessimistic about these things at the best of times, but I have to admit I'm a little suspicious as this house seems almost too good to be true! Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks! x

Florin Thu 14-Jan-16 09:53:42

Edenbridge is a funny old place. It has rich people coming in from the better surrounding villages but Edenbridge itself is generally quite poor. There are also 2 large travellers sites. One Irish and one English. I can't remember which but one set are quite dangerous. A friend had a child at the primary school and her child was the only child in his class who had a parents that worked! Edenbridge is cheap because of its reputation you would be better off looking at some of the nicer villages surrounding it. The commute isn't great either.

joeyhanmum Thu 21-Jan-16 20:51:53

It's cheap for a reason, and the train line has a poor reputation. Remember to check out the London Bridge rebuilding work to check if that might also have an effect over the next few years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now