Thinking of moving to High Brooms - any advice on areas, schools?

(6 Posts)
MChambers123 Sat 06-Jun-15 17:58:39

we are thinking to moving to High Brooms area like (Tunbridge Wells), do you know the area? is there any advise you could give us?
We are from Leigh on Sea (Essex) but my partner works in Kent and the commuting is 2hrs each way per day!!!
We are happy to move but we hope to move for the best. We are thinking in High Brooms area like (Tunbridge Wells) because of the school. We have a place in one of the schools all the other schools in TW are full and the waiting lists are long....

thank you

MC

bluebasket321 Fri 26-Jun-15 00:20:24

I've been hearing lots of less-than-positive comments about High Brooms, but I don't know the area so I don't know why people are so down on the area.

kickassangel Fri 26-Jun-15 01:18:12

Why High Brooms? It is the poor relative to TW or Tonbridge.

What is your budget and which direction does your DP need to head in? Driving or by train?

I grew up in Southborough, and went to school in TW and Tonbridge. All my family still live in the area. Personally, I like Tonbridge a lot. Cheaper than TW but still a choice of shops, the park is great and so are the schools. Tonbridge station connects all over the place for transport links. TW is quite a bit more money, at least 25% more for comparable houses.

High Brooms is on the commuting route to lists of places, so has lots of traffic problems. Houses are smaller and cheaper, and the schools don't have a great reputation. There does seem to be some problems with the pubs and people drinking then fighting outside, although that could just be my parents gossiping.

bluebasket321 Fri 26-Jun-15 10:49:21

Well I was interested in the Tunbridge Wells area because it's not too far from London but still has a town atmosphere in its own right.

Looking to buy a 2-3 bedroom house with a budget of around 300k. Plugged that info into Rightmove and loads of places in High Brooms come up.
Went to see one of them a few days ago, near the High Brooms rail station. The property was ok but was across the street from a pub (was there on a Wednesday morning so don't know what it's like at night).

My partner's job requires him to rotate every 6-12 months between Kent/Medway/Surrey/Sussex so he wants to be somewhere where the commute is bearable and traffic isn't a huge problem. As for me, I'd like somewhere with reasonably easy access to London.

Am still open-minded about other areas too so any suggestions would be great!

MChambers123 Mon 13-Jul-15 17:57:56

Thank you all...We had have a quite long decision time. Even though we like the school in High Brooms. We think that St Marks is really good...we have decide to move to Tonbridge area...we have found a house to rent for few months while we are selling and buying some. We are now looking for school, nursery/preschool. childminder/nanny, etc and activities for the kids in Tonbridge area...

The main motivation for High Brooms as the school, the houses in the upper side of the station look better than the ones on the bottom side...indeed very small and roads very crowded.

well, now, it is Tonbridge...I will probably open another thread for it

Thank you every one...we will soon be in Kent and I hope we will get to know its good people and enjoyed its nice places...:-)

GardenOfEngland Thu 16-Jul-15 10:46:24

Good choice MChanbers123

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now