Tunbridge Wells, High Brooms or Tonbridge? (And renting?)

(10 Posts)
HappyElephant Fri 17-Apr-15 09:00:17

Hello everyone smile

A bit of back story first
At the moment I am working in London and FI is working in Hastings, we'd like to move in together sometime over the summer and Tonbridge, High Brooms and Tunbridge Wells (my personal favourite) seems like a good place for us both transport wise. We are only looking at renting for a couple of years until we have enough saved up for a nice house. I know it is an expensive area, but would we be able to find somewhere for around £650 a month? We'd only want a one bedroom flat/studio flat - nothing too fancy. We don't have a car so we'd want somewhere within walking distance of the train station and shops. We also aren't planning on having children for awhile so schools won't be a problem just yet either.

If anyone knows the area I'd really appreciate it if you could answer a few questions for us!

1) Given what I've said above, do you think it's reasonable to find somewhere?
2) What areas should we try to avoid?
3) Any good/bad comments about the area?

Thank you!

HappyElephant Fri 17-Apr-15 09:02:10

Also how are the trains from these places to London? I know they won't be perfect all the time, but are they generally good and reliable?

Fri 17-Apr-15 10:11:25

Hello, I grew up in tunbridge wells and that would be my preference too but I don't know what the market rents are there now but the trains are good to london and Hastings and there are a fair few rental properties within walking distance to the station. The panties area is lovely. In the upper part of tunbridge wells just bear in mind that there's a lot of bars etc and it can get noisy on Friday and Saturday nights.
High brooms is ok although slightly less trains stop there and I don't think it's as nice and no shops to walk to etc. tunbridge has more frequent trains but is rougher in my opinion and a lot of schools and the college is there but rental properties are cheaper and again you have the town and shops near the station.
I had a beautiful 1 bed enormous flat in mount sion for £650 about 10 years ago, would be perfect for what you're describing. Maybe have a look at properties on right move or zoopla?

GardenOfEngland Fri 17-Apr-15 12:33:04

1) I am not sure about that kinds of rentals are available near to the stations.. Lots of new apartments being built around tonbridge his street so i think it should be okay. But best to get on to zoopla and confirm that.

2) All three areas are good. There is not much to avoid. But I would prefer Tonbridge and TW over HB

3)
HB: do not know much.
TW: Safe. Lots of shops and bars. Train frequency not as good as Tonbridge.
Tonbridge: Safe. Good high street. Beautiful castle and river setting. Most supermarkets on door step. Upcoming. Very well connected to London.

MyTunbridgeWells Fri 17-Apr-15 21:12:50

We lived in central Tunbridge Wells before we had children (and moving to Southborough) and I would highly recommend it. There is so much to do and some really lovely shops, cafes and restaurants. If you do end up moving to T.Wells, you might like to check out my blog - www.mytunbridgewells.com smile

Azrael01 Tue 21-Apr-15 17:59:40

There are lots of flats like you've described on Upper Grosvenor Road in Tunbridge Wells. Good walking distance to shops and station, just stay near the TW end rather than High Brooms.

If you want to live near the Pantiles, you may still be able to find something for around that amount but it would be small. Check Rightmove and look at all the local letting agents. Places get snapped up very quickly if you do find something.

Trains are quicker to London from Tonbridge. I live in Tonbridge now but lived in Tunbridge Wells renting for years. I do miss the night life in Tunbridge Wells and the shops, but Tonbridge is excellent for commuters. It is up and coming and more independent shops are opening all the time.

High Brooms would be my last choice of the areas you've mentioned.

bluebasket321 Fri 26-Jun-15 00:17:44

I am thinking of moving to the Tunbridge Wells area as well. A lot of properties for sale seem to be in High Brooms. I know nothing about the area, but I've seen a lot of lukewarm comments on the net about High Brooms and was just wondering what the negatives are about it.

kickassangel Fri 26-Jun-15 01:21:16

You'll be able to get a single bedroom flat for that money in Tonbridge and trains are better for London and Hastings.

A naive 2 bed flat in Tonbridge within half a mile of the station would be between 650 and 700.

kickassangel Fri 26-Jun-15 01:21:53

You'll be able to get a single bedroom flat for that money in Tonbridge and trains are better for London and Hastings.

A naive 2 bed flat in Tonbridge within half a mile of the station would be between 650 and 700.

Maud76 Thu 09-Jul-15 08:18:32

New to TW

Hello Mums
I have just moved to TW from London, via Sydney and I was wondering if there are any mums that would like to meet up?

Also does anyone have any views on good GPs in the area?
TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now