Help! Need advice on moving to Broadstairs or Ramsgate

(16 Posts)
LVAloves15 Wed 21-Jan-15 09:06:13

Hello,

I currently live in London with my DH and DD who is 3. We are looking to relocate to the Kent coast to downsize our overheads allowing me to eventually leave work, be a mum and spend quality time with my family.

I've recently been ill and I really need to retire from the rat race and hand the reigns to my DH. This means we need to find a 3/4 bed house under the £250k mark.

We want to be by the sea, 30 minutes from Canterbury and have good schools. We don't mind an up and coming area but don't want a completely run down one either. As long as there are like minded people that want to invest in an area that suits us.

We looked at Herne Bay but the primary schools are quite bad and so have now narrowed our search to Broadstairs and Ramsgate but we really need some advice on areas to look at/avoid and schools please.

Also what is the job situation locally and in Canterbury?

Any help would be so appreciated!

Thank you

LVAloves15 Thu 22-Jan-15 10:07:44

I think I could be wrong about the schools in Herne Bay?? Which is the best area to move to?

skyra13 Fri 23-Jan-15 14:17:46

I don't know if this is any help but I have a friend who lives in Herne not far from Herne bay, and to be honest I love the area also I think regarding schools that there will always be good and bad school but its how your child gets on is the main thing smile

LVAloves15 Fri 23-Jan-15 17:35:11

Thank you Skyra The more I look into Herne Bay the more I like the look of it smile. It would be good to know which areas are nice, I'll take a look at Herne.

I think I'm just really over thinking this move as I really want it to be where we settle and are happy.

Does your friend work locally?

CoffeeCup1234 Fri 23-Jan-15 17:58:31

Herne Bay is great. There are some nice villages attached to it as well Beltinge, Broomfield (very countryside with a local pub and duck pond) and Hampton (by sea with a big playground next to the beach) I live in one of these..

There is lots of regeneration going on which has improved the overall look of the town. We're getting more nice independent shops, which has balanced out the town nicely (used to be loads of charity shops). There's an Iceland, a Morrisons and an Aldi is opening this year.

The Bay Promo team have worked really hard to introduce different events throughout the year which include SciFi by the Sea, the Zombie Crawl, Titanic Ball and Christmas Party

Things to do with the kids, Wildwood which is fab and has a massive outdoor play area, cinema (£3 seats) a park, big woodlands 5 minutes up the road and of course the sea grin

The school that dd is in went from Ofstead outstanding to requires improvement but they seem to be really proactive in addressing the issues that were bought up and are doing really well and I think they will receive a better rating when rechecked, I've not heard anything bad about the other schools, I think Briary School is rated outstanding.

The town is not everyone's cup of tea, it still (unfairly) gets criticism from how it was years ago. I grew up here, moved to London for a few years and am very happy to be back.

Hope this helps smile

CoffeeCup1234 Fri 23-Jan-15 18:01:18

Blimey reading that back blush I don't work for Council or get commission for bringing people in grin

LVAloves15 Mon 26-Jan-15 15:48:29

CoffeeCup1234 thank you so much, this is fantastic and I love how positive you are about the place, it seems most people only take to the internet to complain.

I'll check out the surrounding villages too! I saw the ofstead on Herne Bay Infants and judged it entirely on its rating, it's interesting to see that there is more to the story then a rating.

I think we need a weekend in HB to really suss it out!

What about teenagers is there much to do for them? Afterall they all grow eventually eeeeek.

LVAloves15 Mon 26-Jan-15 15:49:50

PS: Maybe the council should consider paying you a commission (smile)

LVAloves15 Mon 26-Jan-15 15:50:32

smile

loveulotslikejellytots Mon 26-Jan-15 16:06:20

I live in Herne Bay, I was born and grew up in Broadstairs! I love both, Broadstairs is lovely, but hand on heart I prefer Herne Bay.

I like being 15/20 mins from Canterbury, you're 45 minutes from bluewater and not much further from London.

I don't have Children, but all my friends with Kids sing the praises of Hampton Primary, Briary and Kings Road infants. I believe catchment areas and over subscription have been an issue for some friends. If you decide on Herne Bay, it might be worth visiting the schools to see where you might be best living.

House wise, we live in a 3 bed Victorian terrace which was valued at 190k before Christmas. It's draughty, it needs a bit of work but it's full of character. Houses get more expensive in the town and in the villages, but there's a great range!

The town is great, lots of independent shops and it's brilliant in the summer. The seafront is always busy, lots of events and goings on! Whitstable is also beautiful, and it's lovely to walk to from Herne bay.

I also seem to sound like the Herne Bay tourist board.

skyra13 Mon 26-Jan-15 23:22:25

Sorry late reply my friend actually works in london either drives or catches train its an easy commute! I have spent may a night there drinking then the next morning visiting the beach with dogs it's lovely in Herne I would love to move further that way in the future x

KittyE Tue 28-Apr-15 21:19:04

Hi, have just seen this thread. Did you decide where to move to? We're moving to broadstairs soon so am looking to meet up with other mums as we won't know anyone!!

FinnyG Mon 04-May-15 20:06:05

Hi, also interested in where you chose. I'm moving to Broadstairs soon and won't know anyone. Feel really anxious about it as I'm used to living in a big town with lots of toddler groups & also like being near London. Can anyone recommend any toddler groups/activities, farms etc (other than the beach)? Also, does it feel quite remote and cut off down there?

wannabestressfree Sat 20-Jun-15 09:18:25

I live in Broadstairs smile feel free to pm me if you want any advice x

singlechildfamily Wed 08-Feb-17 17:20:44

Hello!
Did you all move to Broadstairs? Looks like we're moving there in a few months after 15 years in London and I'm suddenly having a panic attack about it - tell me it's lovely??!

Billyshebabrundall Wed 14-Jun-17 19:38:51

Hi im moving to kent considering moveing to canterbury or ramsgate with my 11 year old son who will be ready to go high school on kent but not grammer school. We love ramsgate beach and harbour but also love canterbury too and canterbury is close to ramsgate. Can anyone give me advice which they think is a better place to live and which has the better schools ? Please help confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now