Shernolds Independent School

(6 Posts)
Zanderella Fri 20-Sep-13 09:18:07

Would anyone have any feedback, good , bad or ugly on Shernolds Independent School in Queens Avenue incl. the reputation, running of the school, overall atmosphere not to mention performance?

Any info would be much appreciated .

Grazia!

Amathaunta Sat 21-Sep-13 22:06:14

DD is at Shernold and loves it, the 11+ pass rate is high and there are lots of events. Kindergarten has a garden they look after which DD says is one of her favourite parts of the week, along with french and cooking, They get a lot of individual attention and help in lessons.

The atmosphere is lovely and friendly and DD settled in very quickly, the other mums are nice as well. DDs teacher is fantastic and they are very good at making sure parents know what's going on (and have been very patient with my constant worrying and stupid questions.)

The only thing I don't like is the uniform is very expensive and from Simmonds in Tunbridge Wells which is a pain (not that theres anything wrong with Simmonds, just that being able to buy stuff in Maidstone would be far more convenient)

DD is still in Kindergarten but I haven't heard anything bad from any of the parents or children further up the school, except general complaining about having to make costumes (it is the European Day of Languages next week and the children are dressing up) and the odd child mutter about too much homework, but to be honest I think those are complaints you hear at every school.

Zanderella Sun 22-Sep-13 00:12:11

Hi there A,

Thank you so much for your reply; I really appreciate it smile

Amathaunta Sun 22-Sep-13 16:24:11

No problem, its worth going to have a look round, they were very open and honest about everything and took us into classes so we could actually see for ourselves what it was like, so you should be able to get a good idea if its right for your DC.

lemontree99 Wed 23-Oct-13 22:21:50

I moved my child here from a mainsteam primary school and do not regret a moment. She is polite, her mannerisms have improved, her concentration is better, she enjoys her work and very importantly she is noticed. They teach the children respect and to explore what's around them. If you can manage the fees then there is no question this is an amazing school, there is no other fee paying school locally however the nurture and care given to the children along with the consistent structure would make this is a top contender against others in Canterbury and so on. The homework is persistent and they do not apologise for it as it is needed to keep pushing the children further. My child is due to move onto secondary school now and I feel very bewildered by what's out there and wish she could stay here until she is 18, although she herself is looking forward to change, I like the comfort of thinking she will be just fine if she stays there!

Sonia9999 Tue 19-Jan-16 08:35:39

Good morning,

We are just moving to Maidstone and we would like to know if it worthy to enrol our children to Shernolds in Maidstone. What are the steps that must be taken to do so, any recommendations...at the moment we have been accepted in St Michaels church junior but I do not know if there is a good option for them...please help in this matter

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now