Builder needed for a loft conversion in Tunbridge Wells

(15 Posts)
RachelElise Thu 16-Aug-12 21:44:45

Hello all,

We are having a loft conversion done in our Victorian house in central TW - hoping for next summer if we can save enough... Can anyone recommend a building firm or individual builder who has experience doing lofts and doing them well!!??

Any advice much appreciated - thank you helpful Mumsnetters!
R

mycatoscar Thu 30-Aug-12 08:12:48

Hi, my husband is a builder (mainly carpentry) he does loft extensions amongst other things. We are in t wells and I'm sure he would be happy to come and advise you and can provide references from happy customers.

mycatoscar Thu 30-Aug-12 08:13:34

Sorry, should have said PM me if you'd like to speak to him.

PanicMode Sun 02-Sep-12 15:50:50

Space Invaders seem to have done most of our neighbours' ones - all seem happy!

GoingBlankAgain Sun 02-Sep-12 15:52:04

Loving the name!

Alison20 Tue 29-Aug-17 21:29:31

I had very bad experience with space invaders. I had to spend thousands putting my house right again and get a construction engineer and architects in.

Valuedopinion Wed 30-Aug-17 12:13:22

No, please don't use space invaders, we have several friends in TWells who have had very bad experiences with them.
The bad reviews seem to get deleted.

KoalasAteMyHomework Wed 30-Aug-17 17:20:48

Think this is a thread from 2012!

Panicmode1 Wed 30-Aug-17 17:58:29

Yes, V old thread, and I wouldn't make the same recommendation if I were being asked for it now....!

Alison20 Wed 30-Aug-17 18:33:45

Yes sorry it is old. I guess I have been so traumatised by whole experience this mention just forced me into action as I know I can't take them to court now. I couldn't find anything else on them when I googled out of curiosity. I made my first two posts so that people don't fall into same trap.

Panicmode1 Wed 30-Aug-17 18:53:00

No problem - I think they over expanded too quickly and didn't monitor quality control..I do know people from 2012 who were happy, but not recently...they quoted for us many years ago, but gave me an absolutely bonkers price. When I said "you don't want the job, do you?", he said "nah, prefer untouched lofts" (we already have a third floor, it just needs reconfiguring) and it made me question his integrity - what if I'd said yes?!

Valuedopinion Wed 30-Aug-17 19:37:43

Alison20 why can't you take them to court?
We did with our builders

Alison20 Wed 30-Aug-17 20:06:59

Space Invaders Ltd went to insolvency as far as I can see. It is now technically called Space invaders loft Conversions ltd. I haven't fully checked but even if this didn't apply yet they could go bankrupt to avoid paying anything and I would be left with legal fees. I have all the evidence but was left with enormous debt . When I say traumatised I mean it too. It's hard to even think what you they put me through. I would like to say more but they would know who I was.

Valuedopinion Thu 31-Aug-17 12:41:53

That's awful, the legal fees are not big if you do it yourself through small claims court, it's very straightforward but I understand that there is no point if already liquidated.

You could make a complaint to the insolvency service, I did this to someone who phoenixed a company three times in this way, the director was banned for eight years for holding any more director posts.

Small comfort but might be worth doing?

Alison20 Thu 31-Aug-17 12:59:48

Sent a private message

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now