NEW TO MUMSNET? (from tunbridge wells)

(12 Posts)
EllyP Wed 04-Aug-10 17:59:42

Anyone else find mat leave lonely?

I am finding it hard to find a baby club to join. Anyone got any ideas

Flossbert Wed 04-Aug-10 20:25:39

Hey Elly - welcome to Mumsnet smile

I'm not in your area, but didn't want to leave you hanging. Do you go to baby weigh-in clinic? Are there any posters up there advertising any groups? How about your local breastfeeding support group? Have you asked your Health Visitor about any groups?

How would you feel about approaching a group of other mums in a coffee shop? I'd be terrified, but that's exactly what one of our gaggle did, and she was welcomed in to the group with open arms. Everyone knows what it's like and there's lots of support out there.

How old is your small person?

EllyP Fri 06-Aug-10 09:45:27

Hi

Thanks for the advice!
I went to the local sure start center who were really unhelpful. They said that they are 'revamping' the baby club!

They have a toddler group but thomas is too young to join in any of the activities. (20 weeks old). However, I am doing a baby signing course in september! Thats one day a week taken up I suppose....

I agree, would be too terrified to meet up out the blue with new mums! Its crazy isn't it!

Oh well, I'll keep searching!

Cluds Tue 10-Aug-10 11:12:15

Hi EllyP! - Are there any music/singing classes in your area? I am in Sevenoaks and know that there is definitely one around here. With DS1 we lived in London and I remember feeling exactly the same. I ended up looking around and found a really good baby and toddler play group at our local church hall (non religious, open to everyone) plus they had readings and sing a longs at our local library. I also joined the local NCT and met a great group of girls (some of whom I am still friends with 10 years later!) for coffee and chat once a week. That then progressed to going out once a month for wine, food and gossip! I hope this helps.

sarahandemily0 Thu 02-Sep-10 14:03:57

Hi im new to this site and just wanted to say hello. im interested in joining some groups soon. i live in southborough can anyone recommend any?

PanicMode Thu 02-Sep-10 21:00:36

Hi Elly
Whereabouts in T Wells are you? I moved here about 3 years ago, and used to just go and chat to mothers in the park - there are also NCT coffee groups in various parts of the town (have a look on FB or google NCT T Wells), there are baby singing and story times at the library (I think on a Tuesday) and there are various toddler groups - First Friends at St John's Church on a Tuesday morning is one of the biggest. I also have a 20 week old (as well as a 2,5 and 6 year old!) - hope that you find something that suits you soon!

AnaKi Fri 10-Sep-10 14:54:10

I moved to TW 3 years ago and have visited loads of playgroups, when dd was little we used to have a favourite for each day!
If you haven't found playgroups yet you need to get "the grapevine" magazine and there you'll find the big list of places to go. Also I just met a mum that said she found lots of groups via netmums. Supposedly they have a list of playgroups (mum baby groups) and she just chose to visit a few.
I used to go to (still go sometimes when I have time) Mon story time at the library, Tue singing time at the library or St Johns Church, Wed St Augustines Catholic church, Thur St James Church, Fri Baptist church on upper Grosvenor Rd.
Hope you find some.

mopsera Sat 11-Sep-10 21:45:54

hi i run a bumps and babes group in Burwash, about 20 miles south of tunbridge - a bit of a way i know! but we have sevaral new mums with new babes or about to pop! and we are in a very pretty village so if you fancied a day out; we meet friday 'ams 10.30-12.30 in y flat-and if you want to join when the other new mums join they will be with me from first fri in oct . im on mopsiee@yahoo.co.uk.:-) im also looking to meet mums in tunbridge so if you know of any good baby groups...!

mopsera Sat 11-Sep-10 21:48:40

p.s its unofficially NCT as im a member but not yet of committe

joccc Wed 13-Jul-11 22:57:00

Hi Elly

I realise your post was from a while ago but how did you get on with finding groups? I moved to TW a couple of months ago and my daughter is 16 months and I need to find more for her to do (and people for me to meet)!

Jo

Shivs1974 Thu 14-Jul-11 11:28:22

Hi Jo - hope you're enjoying life in T/W. Try & get hold of a copy of the Grapevine - they generally have copies in the library or in the foyers of nurseries. It will give you details of all the M&T groups....
Hope that helps...

shilay Fri 15-Jul-11 19:41:36

Hi Mopsera, I live in Heathfield and first time mum due on 8/10/11. I am trying to find bumps and baby groups around Heathfield but thought most are for new parents etc.

Would love to attend Fri group if possible. Please let me know the details if you still accepting new would be Mommy?

Would love to meet other mommies xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now