Being exceptional and not ordinary

(4 Posts)
Jac50 Tue 05-Sep-17 10:05:49

I have always taught my children to be exceptional and not ordinary.
What are your thoughts on using the word exceptional in this world that we live in today?

ArcheryAnnie Tue 26-Sep-17 15:15:04

Depends what you mean. If you mean "better than everyone else" then, so, I don't think it's a helpful concept. If you mean "as good as you can be", then great.

Also: exceptional at what? Exceptionally kind? Exceptionally responsible? Or just high-status?

(It's OK if you aren't an award-winning concert pianist, and just want to play the piano for pleasure.)

How are your children exceptional. Jac50?

EverythingWillBeGreat Tue 26-Sep-17 17:05:02

What do you mean by exceptional?

I personally find that most people are exceptional in some areas, just normal in others and then really 'deficient' in others.
Eg you can have an exceptional mathematician that is living a 'normal' life with a decent but not amazing wage and is really crap at human relationships.

Trying2bgd Wed 27-Sep-17 14:44:44

The world is full of ordinary people. Unless you change the course of history, I don't think you are exceptional. There is nothing wrong with being ordinary, this doesn't mean you don't have amazing talents or skills, it's just that you are not exceptional! 😂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now