A good local butchers?

(6 Posts)
LDNmummy Wed 13-Jul-11 01:56:39

Hey, I live in Highbury on the side near the old Arsenal stadium and walking distance to Angel, Finsbury Park, Newington Green, Church st etc..

Was wondering if anyone know's a good local butcher's in the area that doesn't charge an arm and a leg (no pun intended).

I usually go for early morning trips to the meat market but those days are behind me now and really would love a recommendation for somewhere local.

As I said I live in a very accesible part of the area so can walk to pretty much anywhere around the Highbury part of Islington or nearby.

Thanks in advance smile

gillespie Wed 13-Jul-11 10:54:28

The Highbury Butchers on Blackstock Road is great. He's nowhere near as expensive as Frank Godfrey, who is great, but you'll need a bank loan to do a proper shop there. The other real good butcher is the one down by the junction with St Paul's Road. Can't remember the name but they're great at doing things like boning meat out and rolling it up for you and they're not too pricey.

LDNmummy Wed 13-Jul-11 15:13:13

Thank you gillespie, I know all three of those places so will definitely be trying them out. x

posey Sat 16-Jul-11 08:20:16

Not sure if it may be just a bit too far for you but Woods on the junction of Liverpool Road and Barnsbury Street is great. Been a family run business for years and years and I know lots of people who, despite making cuts elsewhere, will not stop their butcher meat. Really good quality and very friendly -he always gives me a wave even though i don't shop there, just recognises me after many years walking past! Not really sure how prices compare though (not much meat eating in this house!)

Knownowt Sun 28-Aug-11 06:32:59

Frank Godfey on Highbury Grove. It's not cheap but it is absolutely outstanding (and things like sausages- amazing- aren't expensive at all).

Knownowt Sun 28-Aug-11 06:33:15

Godfrey

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now