Moving to IOW

(4 Posts)
Talltraveltales Wed 26-Apr-17 22:54:21

Hi! I'm moving to the island from Australia in Dec this year to be close to family but I don't have any other friends. I'm worried about myself and the kids (6 and 10) meeting people. Are there strong community links in schools? Any suggestions for clubs/organisations we could join? Thanks - I need all the help I can get!

Haveanapplethen Thu 27-Apr-17 06:25:47

It's good you have family here- that's a start. Have you been to the IOW before?

Are your dc's boys or girls? There are the usual Scouts, Brownies they could join. Do you know where you will be living? Some schools are better than others for extra curricular stuff, my Dc's primary had a few sports things after school -football, handball, but it was first come first served to join.

Will your 10 year old be at primary or secondary ? My 11 year old dd is at The Island Free School year 7. There are compulsory enrichment activities 1510 till 1610 every day, they get to choose once a term which ones they want to do.

I moved back to the Iow when dd1 was 18 months old, the friends I made at toddler groups and at the school gates are now close friends, but it took a while.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Talltraveltales Thu 27-Apr-17 22:53:38

Hi! Thanks so much for your response! We will initially be living right near the Island Free School - my inlaws are in Bonchurch. I have lived there before- we used to own the Crab and Lobster in ventnor about 10 years ago. I love the island but am leaving great friends here in Oz and am a bit nervous starting again
My son loves Cubs here so will definitely be joining scouts. Do u know much about ventnor scouts? He will be starting secondary school sept 2018. What is the new secondary in wroxall like?

Callmegeoff Fri 28-Apr-17 22:20:12

Sorry I live in Ryde so I can't help you with Ventnor scouts.

Dh and I adore Ventnor, it's like being abroad if we didn't work in Portsmouth I think we'd live there!

The new Ventnor secondary school is lovely, my dc are really happy. However it is over subscribed, I believe the deadline for applications is October for 2018 admissions . If you can't relocate till December, I don't think you'd get a place -sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now