May be moving to North Watford

(29 Posts)
Wigeon Mon 02-Nov-09 09:16:55

We are busy selling our house in St Albans and moving to Watford (can't afford a bigger house and better area in St Albans!). We are considering a house in Sandringham Road, off St Albans Road and near Watford North station.

I'd really appreciate any views - I'm a bit apprehensive about the lack of green space or even playgrounds (I can only find a playground on Southwold Road), and that you've got to catch a bus into town. I love walking everywhere where we are at the moment.

Anyone live round there? Tell me like it is!

We have one DD, 16 months, and plans for more, and would be intending to stay there for several years (10? or maybe more if we like it).

Thanks very much!

Wigeon Mon 02-Nov-09 19:04:05

Bump?

teaandcakeplease Sat 09-Jan-10 13:58:18

There's a lovely mums and tots on Wednesday mornings in Greycaine Road, Warehouse 7 from 9.30am. That's not far away. Gammons Lane has a nice little playground. Gambado's by VUE Cinema is a good soft play, or Parents Paradise over near Bushey.

You need a car really for that area though, as things can be spread out that keep your toddler busy. I have a lot of friends who live in that area and send their kids to Knutsford school and they have all been there for years and think its great. Not far to walk to Asda in good weather either.

Of course by now you may have chosen not move there? I've only just seen your message shock

jaabaar Fri 09-Apr-10 13:01:09

Hi Wigeon

I know this post is a very old post, just wondering if you moved to North Watford. I moved here 3 years ago and it is fantastic!
Cassiobury park is fab and comuting to London from Watford junction is really easy!

G

jaabaar Fri 09-Apr-10 13:04:13

Hi Wigeon

I know this post is a very old post, just wondering if you moved to North Watford. I moved here 3 years ago and it is fantastic!
Cassiobury park is fab and comuting to London from Watford junction is really easy!

G

Wigeon Wed 11-Aug-10 21:53:07

Oh, hello jaabaar - just come across this - yes, we did indeed move to N Watford (in horrendous snow and ice in December) and are enjoying it so far - I do commute from Watford Junction, and we are often to be found in Cassiobury!

Lol77 Tue 07-Sep-10 18:46:29

Did you move to Sandringham Road, as I am also nearby? The distance to get to Cassiobury and some green space is a downside but at least it helps with keeping fit!

Wigeon Sun 12-Sep-10 19:25:56

We did actually! We are generally v happy here (particularly with the house which we are gradually doing up) but sorry that Watford can't have St Albans vibe with Watford house prices! Went to the playground at Callowland today which actually is only about 10 mins walk away, so can't complain too much!

Lol77 Mon 20-Sep-10 20:06:17

I know what you mean, when I am on Mat Leave from December, I'll definitely be getting the train from North Watford up to St Albans for a few days out...

Pleased you are enjoying the house and the area, hope the renovations are coming along well...

Cookie1982 Sat 25-Sep-10 20:11:51

Message deleted

emmapi Thu 22-Sep-11 20:06:54

Wigeon, is that catherine!!! ha ha! must be, you can tell who i am from my nickname xxxxxxxxxxx

sammiery Tue 04-Oct-11 11:39:22

hi hun
i live lit round the corner from sandgriham road and i love it here you have the park up th road from me the harebreaks gambardos which is round the corner loads of places deff move here

SaoirseBowe Fri 03-Feb-17 12:02:29

Hello!

My husband and I are thinking about moving to Watford (first time buyers & newly married). Just wondering if there are any streets/ areas to avoid?

Would really appreciate the input as we dont know up from down!

Thanks!

inthevillage Fri 03-Feb-17 13:15:44

It depends on your wants, needs, budget etc.
Parking in Watford can be an issue, schools vary, commuting is pretty good.
Parks are great, shopping is fab,sense of community is patchy.

Wigeon Fri 03-Feb-17 22:49:37

Ha ha - this is a complete Zombie thread but I am the OP, seven years on!

There are thousands of streets so it's hard to tell you specific ones to avoid! It also depends massively on your budget and what matters to you. I haven't come across any streets which seem really dangerous, if that's what you mean. There are nicer areas and less nice areas though. Do you have DC? Do you care about being near a good primary? Do you need to be near Watford Junction, or near the M25? Do you want to walk into the town centre?

Most expensive areas: Nascot Wood; round Cassiobury Drive

Cheapest areas: West Watford; area round the Harebreaks

Medium nice: North Watford; round the streets with Tudor in the name (north east); near Knutsford School

If you link to some houses I can tell you what the area they are in is like.

1sttimemumS Tue 21-Mar-17 11:32:46

Hi, wanted to join this thread as we are considering moving to this area - Cassiobury from North London. Looking at the different roads and schools, any advice or need to know tips of what to avoid? When I tell people I am looking to move to Watford there is generally a negative response, and I wonder why - is this just old perceptions, or some areas I need to know about? Any advice would be great.

Annbag Tue 21-Mar-17 12:21:58

We moved to North Watford from north London a few years ago as couldn't afford London with DCs.
Everyone is so friendly and haven't found any negatives yet apart from parking.
You can be into Euston on oyster in 20 minutes. Actually my commute isn't any longer than when I lived in London.
It also seems to be going a bit trendy lately. Coffee shops appearing etc.

It depends what negative thing they've said really. Happy to answer anything more specific.

Despairbunny Tue 21-Mar-17 14:41:57

We live in Chesham & regularly head over to Cassiobury park in the summer. We use the Met line & the dc think it's a huge treat! I know this thread is about Watford, but do look into South Bucks as well, as it's lovely round here (& not as ££ as Amersham/Missenden etc).

sittinginthesun Tue 21-Mar-17 14:42:54

I work in Watford and live nearby. Cassiobury is a very good area, primaries are very good, facilities in Watford are great and family friendly, commute to London, or out onto the M25 or M1 is good, subject to traffic.

Just watch your catchment for secondary schools, as it can be a bit of a black hole. The schools are fantastic, but are generally part selective, so unless you live very close to them, you are relying on entrance exams etc.

1sttimemumS Tue 21-Mar-17 15:54:08

Thank you all for the replies so far. In terms of negative, just a vibe and short comment people say when I mention we are looking at Watford - snobbery perhaps?? Although I think perhaps the town centre night life was mentioned as rough (not that we would be venturing there ourselves with 2 young kids!) just in the future I guess in terms of the teenager environment
Schools are really important, would need to move both kids to primaries and looking at secondaries now too to try and plan ahead a little- we would aim at selective - as both are academic types.
Despairbunny - as we are looking at selective schools, what are the schools like in South Bucks?
Good to hear people are friendly. What is the Nascot Wood area like - is it new developments mainly?

1sttimemumS Tue 21-Mar-17 15:55:29

And in terms of the non-selective schools - what are they like? (I mean outside of the grammars and parmiters etc)

Gazelda Tue 21-Mar-17 15:59:26

Another good point about Watford is that it's just been named the 5th most faithful town in the U.K.! 😁

Schools are good generally, but it's a real bunfight to get into the school you want. There were zero spare places in the secondary school allocation this year.

1sttimemumS Tue 21-Mar-17 16:03:41

Haa - faithful? you mean in terms of marriages?! Will tell hubby that!

Gazelda Tue 21-Mar-17 16:07:01

Apparently so! But St Albans is a hotbed of adulterers. Apparently.

It's obviously a load of old tosh, but amused us in the office today when we saw it on Twitter.

1sttimemumS Tue 21-Mar-17 16:10:34

people always like to label things!

I am also wondering how easy it is going to be to get my kids into a new primary, year 1 and year 4. If I can't get a state place, are there local prep options which are any good? (if I have any money left after potentially moving)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now