anyone heard whether Willows has shut re. e.coli?

(17 Posts)
edam Sun 20-Sep-09 13:15:07

Dh thinks he heard on the news a local petting farm has shut, but I can't see anything online. Just wondered if anyone knows?

BellaBear Sun 20-Sep-09 13:23:18

it hadn't last Weds because I was there (but it was so quiet!), but I appreciate this would have been more recent.

edam Sun 20-Sep-09 15:14:44

Maybe there will be a positive side effect that they'll have to drop the extortionate admission prices? <hopeful>

misdee Sun 20-Sep-09 15:26:47

it was open yesterday edam. was sooo quiet

GrapefruitMoon Sun 20-Sep-09 16:07:20

Don't know but I think I might be wary of taking kids there anyway if there is a dangerous strain of e. coli doing the rounds - as you may remember there was a bad outbreak there several years ago when it was still a working farm as well - they totally revamped it while it was shut and reopened as Willows. Iirc a child died that time sad. I knew someone who had links to the farm at the time and she was not surprised at the e.coli outbreak - think she felt that something dodgy had been going on for a while....

edam Sun 20-Sep-09 16:13:13

Didn't know that grapefruit.

Tbh I avoid going because a. it's hugely expensive and b. there are so many attractions - ds doesn't really look at the animals, is far too busy racing around the bouncy castles/slides/equipment. Feels like a bit of a waste.

cookielove Sun 20-Sep-09 16:13:25

wasn't it bowmans farm before it was willows

edam Sun 20-Sep-09 16:13:37

(Although as it turns out that is probably A Good Thing...)

cookielove Sun 20-Sep-09 16:16:39

there is a free farm in harlow, hmmm near ware, it is within a massive park, that has a great childrens play area

GrapefruitMoon Sun 20-Sep-09 16:17:15

I used to take my dd there when she was little (she's 12 now) and I preferred it as it was then as it was more like a "real" farm. Think the e.coli outbreak must have been when she was a pre-schooler as it was a staff member at her nursery who had links to the farm so this could be 10 years ago... they changed the name when they re-opened.

I haven't been there for years as it's too busy during school holidays but my ds's have been wanting to go for ages - we didn't manage to go over the summer so I had been thinking of going at half-term - but now I think they will have to make do with the little farm at Aldenham Country Park (again!)

GrapefruitMoon Sun 20-Sep-09 16:17:48

Think you are right about the name cookie

misdee Sun 20-Sep-09 16:19:05

it was bowmans yes.

edam Sun 20-Sep-09 16:20:24

Aldenham is lovely - are your ds's still young enough to enjoy the 100 Aker Wood?

GrapefruitMoon Sun 20-Sep-09 16:33:10

Oh yes - even dd still likes it - esp the stream!

cookielove Sun 20-Sep-09 16:37:01

alderham clearly is the one i was thinking of

verygreenlawn Wed 23-Sep-09 21:50:14

Bowmans or Bowmansgreen (formerly Willows) rings a bell? From memory it was a little boy who died - very sad.

Aldenham is lovely, but then I'm biased having spent many happy days there this summer.

princessmel Wed 23-Sep-09 21:57:41

I was at Willows yesterday.

It was quiet but always is at the time I was there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now