family-friendly streets in Harpenden / St Albans

(19 Posts)
freddiemum Sun 06-Jul-08 21:05:45

Do you remember the days when children used to play out in the streets with the neighbours' children? I might be hopelessly idealistic here, but if any such areas still exist, I'd love to move into one. We're looking to buy a house in the local area and would LOVE to know about developments with communal gardens / friendly streets / cul-de-sacs etc. in which children actually play oudoors, together. smile

Swedes Tue 08-Jul-08 14:56:38

Hello - I'm a Harpenden resident. What's your budget? How old are your children?

freddiemum Sat 12-Jul-08 17:16:47

Hi! Thanks for coming back to me. I guess we could go up to about 350K. My children (both boys) are six and one.

freddiemum Sat 12-Jul-08 17:16:50

Hi! Thanks for coming back to me. I guess we could go up to about 350K. My children (both boys) are six and one.

edam Sat 12-Jul-08 17:20:10

Look for cul de sacs built in the 70s - plenty around Southdown and Aldwickbury in Harpenden. (You'd get a three bed modernish end terrace for your money - although with prices on the slide, you might get a semi in Southdown.)

edam Sat 12-Jul-08 17:21:19

In fact, you could have my house - just let me tidy up a bit first! grin Ds plays out with the other kids because it's a cul de sac where we all know each other and can keep an eye out.

princessmel Sat 12-Jul-08 17:41:16

My street is like this!

We're in the Chiswell Green area of St Albans.

BellaBear Sat 12-Jul-08 18:44:06

My street is very friendly and I've seen kids playing out. It's a cul-de-sac off cottonmill lane. Probably a bit cheaper than your budget though!

edam Sat 12-Jul-08 22:24:18

ooh, Princessmel, I am very jealous of that fab adventure playground you have in Chiswell Green. envy

freddiemum Sun 13-Jul-08 09:19:22

Wow, what a fantastic response! Thanks! grin

freddiemum Sun 13-Jul-08 09:27:35

My six-year-old writes...

I would like a street/road where people play{wink}

Amen to that!

edam Sun 13-Jul-08 10:03:23

My very nearly 5yo would be delighted to play out with your 6yo and the other kids in the road - and there's a house for sale in my street! It's got quite a small garden, though. CAT me if you are interested.

freddiemum Mon 14-Jul-08 20:59:55

Sounds interesting...by the way, what does CAT mean?

;)

Sophie

freddiemum Sun 20-Jul-08 20:55:07

Oh rats, have been trying to CAT but the server isn't playing ball. Will be back in touch!

;)

Sophie

edam Sun 20-Jul-08 21:02:22

hello! Sorry, didn't realise you'd been trying unsuccessfully to CAT me. I don't really want to put my email addy on here for everyone to see.

Anyway, the house I'm talking about is a 1970s three bed mid terrace in a very nice street, walking distance to station, shops and excellent schools. It's got a drive but the garage has been converted into a playroom and as I mentioned, the garden is very small. As is the kitchen.

The next door neighbour lets the owners use her garage for extra storage (shows just how friendly people are round here - flip side is the families with young kids keep an eye out for the elderly people).

edam Sun 20-Jul-08 21:03:55

Oh, house was on with Connells estate agents, btw.

granarybeck Sun 20-Jul-08 21:18:07

I live in a similar street in Harpenden, is a house on for not much more than that, but been for sale a bit and prices are dropping. Is on with Harrisson Murray. There are quite a few streets like that in Harpenden, just look for a cul de sac and you'll be fine. Prob good time to get a good bargain too from speaking to people. Seems most streets are pretty friendly and majority of people have children! We're having a street bbq in couple weeks where all kids will get together on the street and will put up bbqs in the road.

SchoolGuru Sat 30-Aug-08 11:14:17

Sadleir Rd/Mentmore Rd/Boleyn Drive area in St Albans is lovely - loads of kids, very friendly, and even the occasional street party! Sadleir Rd is a cul-de-sac. The closest school - St Peter's - gets fantastic results and rave Ofsted reports. There are allotments and a nature reserve behind the houses and you can walk into town in 10 mins. Houses are 1930s, so have period charm etc.

unmadebed Thu 04-Sep-08 11:43:41

What about Haddon Court, off Shakespeare Road- communal area to play in, v. near town, town houses build in the 70's? There's even a sign that makes me smile when L go past 'slow children'!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now