Bernardheath/Alban City or Fleetville

(13 Posts)
scooppark Sun 23-Apr-17 15:11:19

Any opinions on these schools for in year admission for year 4. Very confused with the reviews on line.

Wigeon Sun 23-Apr-17 21:21:36

Have you visited them?

scooppark Mon 24-Apr-17 16:55:28

Yes . Visited them.

juneau2 Mon 24-Apr-17 18:44:48

And do they all have spaces? Schools in St Albans tend to be over-subscribed.

scooppark Mon 24-Apr-17 19:25:47

www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/services/schools-and-education/school-admissions/in-year-admissions-change-schools-during-the-year/school-vacancies/school-vacancies-reception-to-year-6.aspx

scooppark Mon 24-Apr-17 19:26:56

Any opinions please.

Colneybear Mon 24-Apr-17 20:30:05

My children went to Fleetville, I think it's a lovely school, but I don't know anything about the others I'm afraid! They left 2 years ago so I'm sure it's not changed enormously.

yellowzebrazz Mon 24-Apr-17 22:33:55

They all have good reputations locally. Personally I would go for proximity to your house (closest walk) and "feel" (I think they all feel quite different in terms of indoor and outdoor space).

allagory Wed 26-Apr-17 00:07:55

My eldest son went too Fleetville juniors and my youngest is in the infants. It is a great school but I have friends at Alban city who are equally. Unless you have particular priorities (e.g sport, music, language provison, after school care) I would go for your local school.

juneau2 Wed 26-Apr-17 09:20:48

They're all good schools. St Albans traffic is awful though, so I would prioritise the one that you can easily walk to.

scooppark Wed 26-Apr-17 21:39:31

We are very close to Cathedral and little bit close to town ,so it should not be a problem. Can walk up/cycle either ways. We don't mind even if it is a little distance but school should have very strict anti bullying policies also some good amount of science, language and music alongside preparing them for 11+ .
We are also keeping St Columbas Independent school as a back up just in case . Heard few flaws and not so good about a school near by. Fleetville seems to be little away but seems to have lot of activities which is very impressive. But still mind is unsettled . Any inputs about St.Columbas. I have still not applied to any of the schools yet, but will soon make an application as we just got settled.

Many Thanks smile

PETRONELLAS Thu 27-Apr-17 12:27:36

None of the state schools will prepare for the 11+.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Thu 27-Apr-17 18:48:16

I think you're confusing state and indi. None will do 11+ prep

The Bernards Heath head is amazing though and the provision of clubs excellent. She was the standout choice for me when looking at schools. I have not been disappointed that we turned down an indi place to go there. I know of Y6 kids going off to the very selective independents next year too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now