Hitchin or Broxbourne?

(23 Posts)
boatyface2 Wed 08-Feb-17 11:06:44

Hi everyone, I want to move to Hertfordshire (from NW London) and have narrowed it down to Hitchin or Broxbourne.

We are mainly considering:
- Schools (mainly primary, but secondary as well) for my 2yr old son
- Commute time/cost into central London
- Things to do in the town, activities for children

Does anyone know either of these two places and can say anything good or bad about them?

I've posted this in the Education forum and then realised there's a Hertfordshire forum, so thought I'd get more replies here smile

juneau2 Wed 08-Feb-17 12:45:33

Hitchin is really nice.

Broxbourne is fugly.

SnookyWookyWooWoo Wed 08-Feb-17 17:44:03

Opposite view.....love broxbourne..has the cast train into Tottenham hale you get there in no time.

Great schools too!

Have heard Hitchin is a bit druggy in places but admittedly I haven't spent much time there

SnookyWookyWooWoo Wed 08-Feb-17 17:44:22

Fast* train sorry

bruffin Wed 08-Feb-17 17:59:25

Nothing wrong with Broxbourne.

justwanttoweeinpeace Wed 08-Feb-17 18:07:14

Hitchin is lovely. We moved here from London a couple of years ago.

However childcare is oversubscribed so if you are thinking about nurseries you need to get on the waiting lists the minute you have had a house offer accepted.

justwanttoweeinpeace Wed 08-Feb-17 18:08:37

And no one at any toddler group / play cafe / park has ever offered me any drugs (disappointed) grin

SnookyWookyWooWoo Wed 08-Feb-17 18:27:24

Haha just....bet you miss London! All the drugs you want there!

Lalaletchworth Wed 08-Feb-17 19:00:46

Hitchin! Broxbourne is the heart of Daily Mail reading, BNP voting areas
Hitchin is far more liberal

Lalaletchworth Wed 08-Feb-17 19:02:35

Commute. - depends on whether Kings Cross or Liverpool Street is better for your commute. Or both stop on Victoria Line (Finsbury Park / Tottenham Hale)

Activities for toddlers and schools fab in Hitchin.

happyhorse Wed 08-Feb-17 20:24:52

Hitchin seems to be one of those places that Londoners with small children move out to. You won't be able to move for fancy pushchairs and organic rice cakes.

Broxbourne is just a normal kind of place. Good transport links, near to Lee Valley park and plenty of things to do with kids. As long as you're not queuing for fags and scratch cards you should be able to avoid the BNP voters wink

boatyface2 Fri 10-Feb-17 09:25:41

thanks for all the replies! seems like there's no clear winner between the two

bruffin Fri 10-Feb-17 12:03:53

the bnp is guardian reading nonsense. The bnp got one seat on the council back in 2003 on the rosedale estate. Which isnt even in the area Broxbourne, but comes under Broxbourne council which covers from Waltham Cross up to Stanstead Abbotts.
The area round Broxbourne station is really pleasant.

MadameElectricChair Fri 10-Feb-17 20:51:13

Several friends have moved out of Broxbourne and Wormley recently as they said it had changed for the worst.

I used to be based in Hitchin workwise and really liked it there but it is quite far outside London. They are very different.

dalek Sat 11-Feb-17 00:11:46

Mmm as somebody who lives not too far I am always dismayed about how many votes UKIP/BNP poll in Broxbourne.

Latte35 Sat 11-Feb-17 00:20:37

I live just outside of Hitchin- can't afford there! It's a lovely place. Liberal minded, loads on and to do, really friendly community. They even welcome us outsiders! Property prices are massively over priced though, not sure how much house you will get for your money vs Broxbourne.
Schools are all great, Primary and Secondary.

Scrumptiousbears Sat 11-Feb-17 00:25:46

Definitely Hitchin.

HertfordSmiler Mon 13-Feb-17 11:30:32

I live between the two, grew up and lived in Hitchen but spent more time in Broxbourne recently due to son's hobby.
They are both good, Broxbourne is considered the posh bit of the A10 corridor and I think it is overpriced. However the commute to London is excellent. Better then Hitchin for train commuting
Hitchin better for road commuting and more of a town (it is difficult to know where Broxbourne starts end ends as it merges into Hoddesdon/cheshunt).
Hitchin is a lovely town nowadays, I think it is better than it used to be.
I would probably recommend Hitchin.

boatyface2 Mon 13-Feb-17 13:44:28

I think I'm leaning towards Hitchin slightly now, only because of the larger town centre.

I work near Liverpool street so the commute would have been much better from Broxbourne, but husband has a slightly better commute from Hitchin so overall it's probably equal.

HertfordSmiler Mon 13-Feb-17 14:12:02

I also work near Liverpool st but from Hitchin you can switch st Finsbury Park onto the Moorgate line which is every few minutes and then you are close.

boatyface2 Tue 14-Feb-17 16:40:21

What is the commute like? I'm worried just over 1 hour door to door is too long, especially with the change

HertfordSmiler Tue 14-Feb-17 21:49:47

I don't live in Hitchin, I live in Hertford and my commute is 1 hour and 15 mins door to door. When I think about it, I get cross about the time but in reality I don't notice. I just get on train, sit there, read my paper, listen to music, and sometimes sleep. Then I get off and walk to work. Then I reverse the journey.

I always get a seat from Hertford and just sit and relax. Commuting by tube in London would get me down as I hate crowds and the tube is so crowded. I did live in London years ago but would avoid the tube.

boatyface2 Wed 15-Feb-17 08:57:04

thanks for the reply Hertfordsmiler!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now