Steiner School in Kings Langley

(4 Posts)
expat77 Tue 28-Oct-14 02:50:57

Hi

Does anyone have any information about the Steiner School in Kings Langley. We were originally looking at the St Albans area however we have realised that it is very similiar demographically (and educationally) to where we live now. Considering that we are moving to the otherside of the world I thought it might be a great opportunity to try something new. I really like the emphasis on art and play based learning and do not like my children watching tv and playing on screens. I find the Steiner philosophy fascinating but am nervous to opt out of mainstream. I would like to know more about the steiner approach to religious instruction as I have read that it is a part of the curriculum.

Also can anyone tell me what it is like to live in Kings Langley.

If anyone has any information I would really appreciate hearing from you.

expat77 Tue 28-Oct-14 04:22:09

Hi

I have just read some old posts re Steiner education and realise that it is very divisive issue and not a topic to be discussed on Mumsnet so please disregard my previous post.

davidson96 Thu 30-Oct-14 09:54:31

Also interested...

CoachingByShake Tue 11-Nov-14 10:19:33

Whilst I can't comment on the Steiner school you mention, we did have one of our children in Steiner education in Belgium for several years, between the ages of 4-6. For our child it worked out very well, and the continuing options throughout the usual primary, secondary and tertiary levels was fantastic.

However, as with all things in life, it all comes down to several things:
1. the ethics and driving force behind, and the people running and implementing, the school in question
2. the ongoing options and hard empirical evidence supporting how children progress throughout their school years, in the local Steiner environment
3. whether the educational support suits your child in particular - we placed two of our children in Montessori school to address concerns with other forms of education available at the time, and it was a disaster for one of them due to the individual context of (a) the school management control; (b) the teachers implementing the method; (c) the ages of the kids in the class(es); and (d) the overall teaching controls of the method.

I'm sure you're aware of all these things, but it doesn't hurt to bring them into closer scrutiny.

Best wishes with whatever you decide, and trust you find the right education for your kid(s)!

Stassie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now