New Greens

(14 Posts)
honeywebb Tue 28-Jan-14 02:51:24

We've moved into New Greens area and are now told to apply for a school place to be allocated. Any advice for the application?

newgirl Thu 30-Jan-14 09:52:09

Depends on child age? Lots good schools there.

honeywebb Thu 30-Jan-14 19:53:59

We need to apply for Reception in September. Really appreciate any advice.

newgirl Fri 31-Jan-14 15:02:23

Garden fields is excellent - there is another primary nearby too Margaret wix also good. If you Christian you could consider St michaels which is fairly near.

You can't go wrong with any primary in St Albans.

allagory Fri 31-Jan-14 21:57:46

You will be a late application so you are in a tricky position- you will be allocated a place after everyone else. Make sure you include your nearest school as that will be the one most likely to get you a place. There is a new academy Alban City School which I believe was under subscribed last year. It is still a bit of an unknown quantity because it is new but I have heard positive noises about it from other parents. Might be worth a visit?

honeywebb Sun 02-Feb-14 16:55:43

Definitely will visit Alban City-that's the free school I think? Anyone with actual recent experience of Margaret Wix and Garden Fields?

SaintAlban Sun 02-Feb-14 17:13:18

I have heard good things about Alban City school, it will be a nightmare to get kids there, though. Nowhere to park and too far to walk from New Greens.
Garden Fields is ok. I know a few families with older children there, and they are all fairly happy.
Margaret Wix has an awful reputation, but I don't know what it is really like.
I don't think you will get into St Michael's.

honeywebb Mon 03-Feb-14 13:57:31

An awful reputation from a long time ago or recently?? Thanks for the answer. Are we best to avoid Margaret Wix then? Whats the Head like?

SaintAlban Mon 03-Feb-14 14:45:50

I only know about Margaret Wix "through the grapevine", one family in our primary changed from there.
Nothing more concrete, though. Sorry!

honeywebb Mon 03-Feb-14 19:01:09

Thanks SaintAlban.....anyone actually with any experience of G Fields or M Wix??

newgirl Mon 03-Feb-14 19:24:56

My kids not at either school - I hear good things in local papers about mw. I think it is right on edge of town so sometimes undersubscribed due to location - families in catchment may opt for gf as bigger, more established etc

honeywebb Mon 03-Feb-14 21:19:38

Thanks newgirl. It definitely is the edge of town but that's where we live. We are similar distance between it and G Fields. I would be happy with either I think, unless some parents with children at either can enlighten me further??

lael Mon 10-Feb-14 10:40:36

Margaret Wix has become a really good school - the Head has worked hard to overturn an undeserved poor rep. The Reception teacher is superb - have only ever heard praise about her. Garden Fields also good, but oversubscribed and going to a triple intake soon, so will be a very large school!

honeywebb Tue 11-Feb-14 10:52:50

Thanks for the info Iael. I shall book a visit grin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now