Book Club - Redbourn,St.Albans,Harpenden

(214 Posts)
April81 Mon 26-Sep-11 23:26:14

Hi, I moved to Redbourn last year and looking to join or start a book club. Could you please let me know of a local one or if anyone is interested in starting one?

juneau2 Fri 07-Oct-16 13:02:04

Our next meeting is on Weds 9th Nov at 8.30pm at the Old Cock Inn, Harpenden. The book is 'Olive Kitteridge' by Elizabeth Strout.

juneau2 Thu 15-Sep-16 16:39:32

Yes, Mollie, we do! Actually I'd just come on here to post the next meeting so please do read the book and come along if you'd like to. We're a friendly group and always open to new members and we always meet in Harpenden, which should be convenient for you (although not all our members live there).

Our next meeting will be on Weds 5th Oct at the Old Cock Inn, Harpenden at 8pm. This month's book is 'The Palace of Illusions' by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni.

MollieHarps Tue 13-Sep-16 09:30:08

Hello...not sure if anyone is actually going to see this.
I am just wondering if you ladies still meet up as I am looking for a book club in Harpenden?

Thank you

juneau2 Wed 27-Apr-16 22:24:14

Just realised I hadn't posted on this thread in ages. Yes, we are still meeting and if anyone is interested in coming along, please do!

We meet monthly (or thereabouts), in The Old Cock Inn, Harpenden.

Our May book is 'The Yacoubian Building' by Alaa al Aswany and we'll be meeting on 25th May at 8pm. PM me if you want to introduce yourself or know anything else.

lovesunnysummers Sat 19-Dec-15 00:07:40

Hi Ladies,

I have just moved to Harpenden and I would love to join this book club. Are you still meeting?

Thanks!
Solange

juneau2 Fri 30-Oct-15 19:41:24

Hi Kate,

We're reading 'The Shoemaker's Wife' by Adriana Trigiani and meeting on Weds 11th Nov. Hope to see you then!

Katiewoodles Thu 08-Oct-15 16:12:33

Hi All,
I am sorry I haven't been to any of the book clubs recently I have been away or working when the meetings are happening. I was wondering what the next date of book club is and what are we reading. Hope you are all well. xxx

Annah33 Fri 05-Jun-15 20:53:38

Hi-just moved to harpenden and would love to come along too to the next one. Will look out for details of next meet!

Dragontrainer2 Tue 02-Jun-15 13:24:17

Sorry, this is probably a bit late unless you are a speed reader with time on your hands, but, the next book group meeting is tomorrow evening at 8 pm in the Cock Inn. The book is The Hungry Tide by Amitav Ghosh.

Florrie You're more than welcome to come and join us- we're usually identifiable as the group of ladies with Kindles and books on the table! If it is too short notice to come along tomorrow night, someone will post details on here for the following session!

Florrie101 Fri 29-May-15 15:30:30

Hi, is your book club full as I would like to join if you have space? Many thanks.

SueB12345 Wed 13-May-15 15:05:30

Sorry I have missed the last few meetings. i believe the next meeting is planned for June 3rd? Can someone tell me the name of the book.
Many thanks.

juneau2 Thu 19-Mar-15 12:07:21

We had a very lively discussion about 'The Miniaturist' last night, a book which everyone enjoyed very much.

Our next book is 'This Boy' by Alan Johnson and the meeting will be on Weds 22nd April at 8pm, usual place.

Happy reading everyone!

juneau2 Thu 12-Feb-15 09:11:30

Our next meeting will be on Weds 18th March, usual venue and time.

The book this month is 'The Miniaturist' by Jessie Burton.

All welcome! Just read the book and come along.

Katiewoodles Sat 17-Jan-15 14:56:01

Hi All,

Sorry I haven't come to last book clubs it has been manic at the theatre with christmas. I will be there at the next one so see you all then. I will email about my dates for the cinema. xxx

juneau2 Thu 15-Jan-15 11:48:57

Thanks to everyone who came along last night. Our next book group will be on Weds 11th Feb at 8pm, usual time and place. The book is 'Elizabeth is Missing' by Emma Healey.

Do read the book and come along if you fancy joining!

juneau2 Sun 11-Jan-15 16:15:20

Hi, sorry I forgot to post about this month's meeting.

Its on Weds 14th Jan, usual time and place.

We will be discussing 'Wild' as the meeting last month didn't really happen in the busy run-up to Christmas.

Hope to see everyone there - old and new members alike. All welcome!

Amrita1975 Sun 04-Jan-15 19:21:43

Hi Ellewood I was going to join last month but couldn't attend the meeting and no one's posted anything since about what book to read. Perhaps no one managed to make it to the meeting and I don't know either if there's a meeting this month. Let's keep our fingers crossed. smile

Ellewood Fri 02-Jan-15 22:05:46

Hi there - I am really keen to join a book club in Harpenden - have been meaning to for so long as I am looking for inspiration and motivation to read more. I wondered if I could come along to this one? Are you starting back next week? Many thanks

Amrita1975 Wed 10-Dec-14 17:52:36

Hello everyone, thanks for your kind replies. I will join you in January because I still haven't finished reading the book. blush I look forward to meeting you all in the new year and wishing everyone a very merry Christmas!

Katiewoodles Wed 10-Dec-14 11:37:27

Hi All,
I am really sorry I can't make tonights Book Club as I have my works christmas do! But please let me know what the next book is and I will see you all in January. Have a lovely christmas and a happy new year.

SueB12345 Tue 09-Dec-14 08:29:57

Hi - I'm also sorry to say I will not be able to join on Wed. Bit of a shame as I was looking forward to discuss 'wild'. The actually parts of the book around the hike reminded me a lot of Bill Bryson and his book ' walk in the woods'.

Looking forward to catching up on the next book in January.
Sue

Dragontrainer2 Mon 08-Dec-14 19:01:19

Sorry, I'm not having a good run of making book club at the moment - not looking good for Wednesday given DH's current work load. Have a good Christmas everyone.

Amrita - as Sue says, no need at all to have little people - just turn up prepared to mutter something about the book!

SueB12345 Thu 04-Dec-14 12:52:22

Hi Amrita1975 - I'm relatively new to the book club myself - but don't believe its restricted just to Mum's! so feel free to come along.

Amrita1975 Mon 01-Dec-14 12:17:34

Hi, I don't have any kids (except for feline ones)! Can I still join your book club? Been wanting to join one for a while now.

SueB12345 Thu 13-Nov-14 08:58:11

Hi all - next book club read is Wild by Cheryl Strayed. Meeting Wednesday December 10th at the Old Cock, Harpenden.
See you then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now