Book Club - Redbourn,St.Albans,Harpenden

(214 Posts)
April81 Mon 26-Sep-11 23:26:14

Hi, I moved to Redbourn last year and looking to join or start a book club. Could you please let me know of a local one or if anyone is interested in starting one?

juneau Mon 09-Jul-12 08:59:57

Hi edam, we missed you this month!

The next book is 'The Tiger's Wife' by Tea Obreht. Meeting is Weds 8th August. Usual place.

katestalbans Tue 07-Aug-12 08:43:30

my apologies for tomorrow. enjoy discussing the book. apologies also from helen. Kate

edam Tue 07-Aug-12 13:44:11

thanks Kate, we will miss you both! What did you think of the book?

MaSeKo Wed 08-Aug-12 15:31:37

My apologies for tonight. Enjoy discussing the book. Please post details of the next book and meeting details. Many thanks. Matina

edam Fri 10-Aug-12 14:38:25

Ooh, just finished The Tiger's Wife. Now dying to have that conversation with those of you who had already finished about 'why does the apothecary do what he does?'

Next meet is 5 September at the Cock on the main road in Harpenden, guess same time (8pm) and book is The Invisible Ones by Steph Penny.

HelenJV Sun 02-Sep-12 18:56:16

Hi There,

I've just come across your thread, and would be really interested in hearing if you are looking for any new members?

I've quite recently moved to Harpenden with my Husband, and although I don't have any kids (yet!) I would be really interested in joining a book group in the local area - I love reading, and would be keen to get to know a few people in Harpenden.

Could you let me know if it would be OK for me to maybe come along to one of your meetings with a view to joining?

Many thanks

Helen

kidsfromfame Mon 03-Sep-12 18:59:02

Hi Helen

You're very welcome to join us. As Edam says above, we're meeting on Weds at 8pm in the Cock Inn. If the weather's nice, we might be in the garden.... Hope you can make it.

edam Thu 06-Sep-12 13:23:15

eek, so sorry everyone, was working late and missed the meet-up yesterday. apologies - hope you didn't wait for me. We MUST swap mobile numbers so I can let you know if I get held up again! Please let me know what book you've chosen next and what date we are getting together.

Sorry!

juneau Thu 06-Sep-12 13:37:37

We missed those of you who couldn't make it this month. Next meet up is Wed 3rd Oct, usual time and place. The book is 'Tender is the Night' by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

edam Thu 06-Sep-12 13:52:23

Fab, thanks Juneau - just need to check my school governors' meeting has been re-arranged but hope to be with you.

katestalbans Wed 03-Oct-12 18:27:39

hope you all have fun this evening. afraid i won't be with you. edam just called to say that she is running late but will be there tonight. enjoy! xx

Dragontrainer2 Wed 14-Nov-12 16:29:01

Hi there. I have the joys of a parents evening tonight, so it looks like I'll have to miss tonight. Shame, as I would have loved to hear what others thought of the book - I wanted to like it, but didn't! Let me know the arrangements for next month; as long as it is not the 12th or 13th I'll be there! Have fun tonight!

juneau2 Wed 14-Nov-12 22:37:48

I'm afraid it is Dec 12th - anything else was too close to Christmas. Sorry you won't be able to make it. Hope some of the other regulars will be able to. The book is 'The Other Hand' by Chris Cleave. The Old Cock Inn, 8pm.

MrsMallow Thu 15-Nov-12 00:08:19

Anyone mind me joining in?

juneau2 Thu 15-Nov-12 18:12:43

Mrs Mallow, you'd be very welcome smile

Oh and dragon, we were all united in our dislike of last month's book!

Dragontrainer2 Tue 04-Dec-12 10:46:01

Juneau - thanks for filling me in on the details; you are very efficient (in contrast to me, who has been meaning to post to say thank you for a while, but failing miserably!) Hope you all have a good time next week and have a fab festive period - hopefully I'll manage to catch up with you in January when the manic Christmas period is over!

juneau2 Thu 13-Dec-12 11:20:05

Next month's book is 'The Sense of an Ending' by Julian Barnes. Our meeting will be held on Weds 9th Jan, usual time and place. Happy Christmas!

Magdalena11 Sun 06-Jan-13 16:59:18

Hi, have you got any room for new members in your book club?

juneau2 Mon 07-Jan-13 20:44:20

Come along Magdalena - you'd be very welcome. Details of the next meeting are above.

Magdalena11 Mon 07-Jan-13 23:32:25

Thanks!

juneau2 Thu 10-Jan-13 12:37:36

Just thought I would mention that this month's book is 20p on Amazon today if you've got a Kindle.

HelenJV2 Sat 12-Jan-13 13:00:01

Hi Ladies,

Just wanted to let you all know that the book for next month's meeting is 'The hundred year old man who climbed out of a window and disappeared', by Jonas Jonasson. We are due to meet in the usual place / time on February 20th.

See you all then x x

roundwood Mon 21-Jan-13 16:44:43

Hi, finally had a chance to talk to my book editor about Sense of An Ending - she called it 'tiresome' and said we are entirely right that it's not much cop. Nice to know we weren't all missing something!

roundwood Mon 25-Feb-13 20:37:01

Hi everyone

I know we are reading Still Alice for next time but just saw a whole slew of reviews for the other book I mentioned, The Handsome Brute - all very positive. Times, Sunday Times, Obs, and so on. Thought it was interesting - at least I wasn't going mad by actually enjoying something in that genre!

ali26672 Mon 04-Mar-13 13:00:37

Hello everyone!

As with a few posters on this thread, I have just moved to Harpenden with my husband and two small children. I love to read and would love to join a book club in the area and meet new people. Is it ok to come along to one of your get togethers sometime soon?

Many thanks,
Ali

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now