good toddler groups and activities

(12 Posts)
fifitrix40 Mon 12-Sep-11 13:52:26

Hi, we have just moved to St Albans from London - I think maybe to the wrong area after reading the previous posts re: best place to live! - we are in Sadlier road, off cottonmill lane. I have a 2 girls ( 2 1/2 year old and 16 months) and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good toddler groups, activities near by - There looks like there is a group at the Manderville ? primary school and there is the toy library and a preschool at St peters school - but not knowing the area I do not know what are the good places to go and it is v. daunting starting in a new area again. I do not have a car so it is all walking with the Phil and Teds up the many hills of St Albans! Thanks

Pawsnclaws Mon 12-Sep-11 18:24:27

Mine are a little older (well except ds3) but the oldest two used to go to a really nice playgroup on Hatfield Rd - at the Methodist Church (opposite the cemetery). It's not that far from you by foot if you walk along the old railway line. It was always super-friendly and run by some lovely ladies who used to take the children for a little sing-a-long after the toy session.

Hopefully someone else may have some other ideas, but welcome to St Albans, it's a fabulous place for a young family.

Pawsnclaws Mon 12-Sep-11 18:28:53

Just checked the website and that one is still running, 10-12 Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Just google Hatfield Road Methodist Church then go to Community then Babies and Toddlers.

fifitrix40 Tue 13-Sep-11 08:09:51

Thank you very much - will try that one this week.

chuckeyegg Tue 13-Sep-11 14:37:19

There's a toy library where you can stay and play in St Julians Church Hall, Abbots Ave West (0ff cottonmill lane) On Tuesdays 10-12 in term time. There's a website here

HarryHoleCameToTea Fri 23-Sep-11 17:41:23

The Salvation Army run a lovely toddler group on Victoria Street (back of the Maltings shopping centre) on Tuesday mornings. It's small and friendly but can get full up in which case there's a much bigger, livelier group in the crypt at the Abbey also on Tuesday mornings. And there's rhyme time at the library too.

BellaBearisWideAwake Fri 23-Sep-11 17:46:55

I used to live on leyland ave! It's a lovely area.

Best advice: join the NCTStAlbans yahoo group (you don't need to be a member just search for it) and there is a current list of playground on there.

I loved the mandeville school group (actually part of the sipwell children's centre), pippa and Kathryn are fab

BellaBearisWideAwake Fri 23-Sep-11 17:47:22

Playgroups not playgrounds. Iphone

BellaBearisWideAwake Fri 23-Sep-11 17:47:41

And sopwell. Sigh.

BellaBearisWideAwake Fri 23-Sep-11 17:49:03

And the alban way mentioned above is the pedestrians friend for getting from your area to fleetville easily. Google it for a map

PaulaMummyKnowsBest Fri 23-Sep-11 17:54:08

there is a really nice group at St Stephens church (watling street, opposite King Harry pub)

It runs term time, 10 - 11.30 and costs £2

The car park fills early though so if you do drive there, get there early!

PaulaMummyKnowsBest Fri 23-Sep-11 17:54:52

oops forgot to say, it's on Fridays!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now